Deployment without SSH?

Has anyone successfully deployed radiant on a web host without ssh
access ?
With the local DB and production DB pointing to the appropriate
locations?

If anyone has had any luck with this I would love to be enlightened.

Thanks,

Cory

Cory D wrote:

Has anyone successfully deployed radiant on a web host without ssh access ?
With the local DB and production DB pointing to the appropriate locations?

If anyone has had any luck with this I would love to be enlightened.

Deploying Rails apps is quite sticky even with SSH. It’s probably
possible to do it without it, but I wouldn’t recommend it. SHH will make
it much easier to diagnose problems if you run into any. You’ll want to
be able to do things like read log files and change file permissions.

What Web host are you using? Perhaps something like
http://www.hostingrails.com/ would work for you?


John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com

On 8/3/06, John W. Long [email protected] wrote:

Cory D wrote:
[snip]

What Web host are you using? Perhaps something like
http://www.hostingrails.com/ would work for you?

Hey John, never heard of them, how serious are those guys?

We should start creating a “opinion” webapp to qualify different
hosting and options :wink:


Luis L.
Multimedia systems

Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort,
which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi

Luis L. wrote:

What Web host are you using? Perhaps something like
http://www.hostingrails.com/ would work for you?

I set a friend up on one of their accounts recently. Dunno how good they
are, but it’s cheap. There are similar options for Rails hosting if
money is a problem.


John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com

I had bad memory leak problems using mongrel, apache, radiant and
mongrel. I tracked it for more than a week and could reproduce it.
Switching to postgres solved the memory leak completely. I’m not sure
what the problem was but I would suggest staying away from the sqlite3
bindings as for whatever reason radiant’s caching causes memory leaks
with it.

josh @ besquared

John, you weren’t kidding when you said deployment is tricky even with
SSH!
I tried, unsuccessfully to deploy radiant with and without SSH. I think
a
more detailed explanation in the radiant installation guide on
deployment
would be extremely helpful. I’m confused about such areas as why you
would
setup and use the production database on your local instance of radiant
(doesn’t this defeat the purpose of three database levels?) and why the
database.yml instructions for mysql explain to use socket: instead of
host:
(ie. how could you test pointing to your production database on a local
radiant instance with socket ?)

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

-Cory

On 13 Aug 2006, at 01:20 , Cory D wrote:

I’m confused about such areas as why you would setup and use the
production database on your local instance of radiant
(doesn’t this defeat the purpose of three database levels?) and why
the database.yml instructions for mysql explain to use socket:
instead of host: (ie. how could you test pointing to your
production database on a local radiant instance with socket ?)

If you’re not planning to do any development on the Radiant itself
but just want to use it to build a site then I’d suggest you take the
easy way out and just put the same configuration under the
‘development’ and ‘production’ section.

You might also want to consider running Radiant on SQLite instead of
MySQL. It’s not only far easier to configure, but because a SQLite
database is stored as a regular file inside the db/ directory, it’s
also easy to move your all content from your local instance to your
webserver (if your hosting company has SQLite installed, that is).

So, step by step:

  1. Get SQLite running on your system, see http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/
    rails/pages/HowtoUseSQLite
  2. Use the following for config/database.yml

development:
adapter: sqlite3
database: db/production.db
test:
adapter: sqlite3
database: db/test.db
production:
adapter: sqlite3
database: db/production.db

  1. Create the database structure with $ ./script/setup_database
  2. Start the server with $ ./script/server

Kind regards,
Thijs


Fingertips - http://www.fngtps.com

Phone: +31 (0)6 24204845
Skype: tvandervossen

MSN Messenger: [email protected]
iChat/AOL: [email protected]
Jabber IM: [email protected]

Josh F. wrote:

I had bad memory leak problems using mongrel, apache, radiant and
mongrel. I tracked it for more than a week and could reproduce it.
Switching to postgres solved the memory leak completely. I’m not sure
what the problem was but I would suggest staying away from the sqlite3
bindings as for whatever reason radiant’s caching causes memory leaks
with it.

You say Radiant’s caching caused memory leaks. Do you say this because
you turned it off and the problem went away or was this just a
suspicion?

I can’t see any reason why the choice of database drivers and the
caching mechanism would have anything to do with each other.


John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com

That’s true, I can’t either. But I was able to reproduce it consistently
for several days using the same method. Refresh a cached page, clear the
page cache, repeat. Doing this about 3 or 4 times pushed mongrel to
about 160MB foot print. Mongrel debug logging showed a massive number of
‘String’ and ‘Array’ objects never being garbage collected. The system
was basically setup like this:

Redhat EL3
Apache 2.0.46 (I think)
Mongrel 0.3.13
sqlite3 - ruby bindings
radiant 0.5.0

Keeping everything the same and switching to postgres 8 solved the
problem and it’s been running stable for about 2 weeks now. So what the
exact reason was, I don’t know, but I do know that the sqlite3 ruby
bindings were the difference between leaking and not leaking.

Josh

On 13 Aug 2006, at 23:04 , Josh F. wrote:

I had bad memory leak problems using mongrel, apache, radiant and
mongrel. I tracked it for more than a week and could reproduce it.
Switching to postgres solved the memory leak completely. I’m not sure
what the problem was but I would suggest staying away from the sqlite3
bindings as for whatever reason radiant’s caching causes memory leaks
with it.

Did you use the pure ruby sqlite library by any chance?

Kind regards,
Thijs

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs