Deploying without capistrano, using git pull?

I’m NOT working on an enterprisey big time rails application; just
something for my personal site.

I’ve been deploying via

local> git push origin master
remote> git pull origin
remote> sudo /etc/init.d/httpd restart

Trying to decide if this is sufficient, or if learning capistrano and
setting that up will give me any advantages over this?

Thanks,

Dave

On Jul 5, 10:12 am, davetron5000 [email protected] wrote:

setting that up will give me any advantages over this?

Well on a larger setup (multiple servers etc) there is no question in
my mind that you want to use something like capistrano
Even on a small one machine setup, personally I’d always prefer to
automate things a little more because it’s just too easy to update the
source but forget to run migrations and things like that.

Fred

davetron5000 wrote:

I’m NOT working on an enterprisey big time rails application; just
something for my personal site.

I’ve been deploying via

local> git push origin master
remote> git pull origin
remote> sudo /etc/init.d/httpd restart

Trying to decide if this is sufficient, or if learning capistrano and
setting that up will give me any advantages over this?

It’s usually better to automate where possible, and Capistrano gives you
a quick way of deploying with one command – and rolling back with one
command. Honestly, I don’t see why you wouldn’t use it.

Thanks,

Dave

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

I am hoping to add a more practical view to this thread. I too, have
read the reams of postings about how Capistrano is the ONLY way to go.
I have found that a simple subversion approach is easiest. I simply go
to where my application is loaded on my server and enter = svn update
That’s it and it sure makes it easy.
David

On Jul 5, 10:08 am, Marnen Laibow-Koser <rails-mailing-l…@andreas-

InventoryTrackers wrote:

I am hoping to add a more practical view to this thread.

Nothing you’ve said is “more practical”.

I too, have
read the reams of postings about how Capistrano is the ONLY way to go.

No one is saying it’s the only way to go, just that it has lots of
advantages.

I have found that a simple subversion approach is easiest. I simply go
to where my application is loaded on my server and enter = svn update
That’s it and it sure makes it easy.

Sounds like you haven’t even tried Capistrano, or you’d know that
deployment with Cap is even easier than your method: no need to
explicitly log into the server, just enter “cap deploy” from the dev
machine and voilà . One command does it all.

Besides, many applications have other things that need to be done on
deployment. Cap automates this.

(Oh, and you really should try switching to Git. Subversion is
extremely limited by comparison).

David

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs