Dealing with TFS

Hi

How do you guys deal with TFS?

My guys have settled on Rubymine as their IDE, but their SCM is TFS of
course as it’s a .NET shop.
As you’re well aware off TFS has the unfortunate habit of marking files
as
read-only and AFAIK there isn’t an easy way to make it detect new files
short of going through all the folders and manually adding the new
files.
When you’re on a roll with a rails app for example this can mean there
are
quite a few files that need to be added.

What is the workflow you settled on? use git for everything and once in
while make it sync with TFS?

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

I know some people who like “tfpt online” (from TFS Power
Toolshttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FBD14EEA-781F-45A1-8C46-9F6BA2F68BF0&displaylang=en)
for the purpose of adding a bunch of new files to a preexisting
enlistment. I’ve never used it myself.

My guys have settled on Rubymine as their IDE, but their SCM is TFS of
course as it’s a .NET shop.
As you’re well aware off TFS has the unfortunate habit of marking files
as read-only and AFAIK there isn’t an easy way to make it detect new
files short of going through all the folders and manually adding the new
files. When you’re on a roll with a rails app for example this can mean
there are quite a few files that need to be added.

What is the workflow you settled on? use git for everything and once in
a while make it sync with TFS?

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

We’ve got a couple of people using the TFS->SVN bridge, which I think is
made by the codeplex guys. It’s SLOW, but it works well for them, as
they’re on smaller projects.

Tfpt online is nice for that purpose. tf folderdiff . /r (recursive on
this directory) is another way to detect changes, but it’s a pain since
it re-syncs everytime you make a change. Rails would make it hard, but a
few other options I can think of to help:

a) If it’s a new project, maybe Codeplex’s new Mercurial support
can convince them to use something different

b) I can help you get setup to sync Git with TFS like we do for
IronRuby. It’s a bit of a kludge right now, but it works. Jimmy and I
are both trying to make it better, but neither of us have the time yet.

c) Write a plugin for rails that hooks into the generator’s SCM
support (-g and –s options) to add and edit files as it works.

One other thing I have for working within TFS. I map :w to :w! (to
overwrite read-only files). And I have defined te and ta
which simply call :!tf edit % and :!tf add %. The percent expands to the
current file. Whenever I touch a file I run this command, of course,
this requires you to launch vim from a command line that has TF in the
path.

JD

My guys have settled on Rubymine as their IDE, but their SCM is TFS of
course as it’s a .NET shop.
As you’re well aware off TFS has the unfortunate habit of marking files
as read-only and AFAIK there isn’t an easy way to make it detect new
files short of going through all the folders and manually adding the new
files. When you’re on a roll with a rails app for example this can mean
there are quite a few files that need to be added.

What is the workflow you settled on? use git for everything and once in
a while make it sync with TFS?

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

svnbridge doesn’t work with rubymine or git-svn but it does with
tortoise
etc.

The source control needs to work from within the environment, at least
that’s what the boss told me.

this looks promising too with a few rake tasks perhaps:
http://jeroen.haegebaert.com/post/2008/08/23/Dealing-with-the-quirks-of-TFS-using-git-take-2

I’ll check out the ironruby source code too on how you do it.

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

I’ve not gone through the full post, but based on the title this might
help:

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Jimmy S. <

That blogpost is basically all Jim and I would want to do – wrap the GIT
and TFS command-lines. A step above that would be to use grit (GIT
implementation in Ruby … or even Git#) as well as the TFS APIs. But as
Jim said, we haven’t found the time to make this really nice, so I
welcome anyone else to do so.

As a starter, here’s my notes on using TFS and GIT together; it’d be
great to just get some easy-to-use scripts to wrap this up:

~Jimmy

svnbridge doesn’t work with rubymine or git-svn but it does with
tortoise etc.

The source control needs to work from within the environment, at least
that’s what the boss told me.

this looks promising too with a few rake tasks perhaps:
http://jeroen.haegebaert.com/post/2008/08/23/Dealing-with-the-quirks-of-TFS-using-git-take-2

I’ll check out the ironruby source code too on how you do it.

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

On 24/01/2010, at 4:28 AM, Ivan Porto C. wrote:

Hi

How do you guys deal with TFS?

My guys have settled on Rubymine as their IDE, but their SCM is TFS of
course as it’s a .NET shop.
As you’re well aware off TFS has the unfortunate habit of marking files
as read-only and AFAIK there isn’t an easy way to make it detect new
files short of going through all the folders and manually adding the new
files. When you’re on a roll with a rails app for example this can mean
there are quite a few files that need to be added.

What is the workflow you settled on? use git for everything and once in
a while make it sync with TFS?

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nzhttp://flanders.co.nz/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim