It wasn’t that I had any doubt that db:create should work, it was that
rake task is defined in rails, and not typo. So I felt it was more
rails related. Where it’s casued or ended, I don’t know.
it works for me with regular ruby 1.8.6, I don’t use jruby so I did
not test, but I assume that jruby is unrelated.
Unfortunately, I am a believer in testing w/ ruby only, as I have
found some unique problems using rubinus, YARV and jruby that do not
When in doubt, try it the “normal” way, and if it works, backtrack and
find out where and why it’s failing.
… however for me personally I try to run a secure MySQL Server; so I
give each rails app it’s own login credentials, and db:create will/
would fail because I do not give it permission to create a database.
Which is why I find db:create rake task to be downright silly.
Thanks for listening, no reply necessary.