DateTime in UTC

How do I extract the hour and minutes in UTC from a DateTime object? I
have looked at the Ruby cookbook and Ruby Way with no luck.

When I try:

d = DateTime.new(2008,8, 20, 12, 15)
=> Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:15:00 +0000

d.zone
=> “+00:00”

d.min
=> 15

d.hour
=> 12

The result is not the same as executing the following javascript:

// Converts the given time into UTC, returns this in a string
function getUTCDateString(y,m,d,h,min) {
var timeObj = new Date(y,m-1,d,h,min);
var dateStr = “” + timeObj.getUTCFullYear();
dateStr += stringPad(timeObj.getUTCMonth()+1);
dateStr += stringPad(timeObj.getUTCDate());
dateStr += “T” + stringPad(timeObj.getUTCHours());
dateStr += stringPad(timeObj.getUTCMinutes()) + “00Z”;
return dateStr;
}

TIA.

=> 15

d.hour
=> 12

What behaviour are you expecting ?

Best regards,

Axel

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]

>> d = DateTime.new(2008,8, 20, 12, 15)

=> Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:15:00 +0000

compare,

d = Time.utc(2008,8, 20, 12, 15)
=> Wed Aug 20 12:15:00 UTC 2008

00:45 - 0845

It seems to be using some offset to convert the given date to UTC
values. I don’t know how to convert a given hour to its UTC value.

Sorry, I meant converting from Date or DateTime object to UTC values
similar to above sample data for hours and mins. Thanks.

On Aug 22, 1:55 am, Axel E. [email protected] wrote:

=> 15
Der Eine für Alle:GMX Produkte Übersicht: Apps, Browser, MailCheck und Co.
I created the following list of the expected behavior from
Add a Google calendar to your website - Google Calendar Help

Hour : Value in UTC

Hour:Mins - UTC value
00:00 - 0800
00:15 - 0815
00:30 - 0830

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 03:31:10 +0900
Von: “[email protected][email protected]
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: DateTime in UTC

00:15 - 0815
00:30 - 0830
00:45 - 0845

It seems to be using some offset to convert the given date to UTC
values. I don’t know how to convert a given hour to its UTC value.

Sorry, I meant converting from Date or DateTime object to UTC values
similar to above sample data for hours and mins. Thanks.

One of the two times is your local time zone (if it’s +08:00, you’ll
most probably be in China, Malaysia, Singapore,
the Philippines, somepart of central Indonesia or in Western
Australia.)
There is a database collecting time zone details, including daylight
savings time, by Mr. Olson,
and there’s a Ruby library to convert from and into UTC ,which is
basically the time zone of
England, disregarding daylight savings time there.

Look here :

http://tzinfo.rubyforge.org/
World timezones map with current time- 24 hour format (the map has nice zoom-in
properties)

Best regards,

Axel

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Axel E. [email protected] wrote:

It seems to be using some offset to convert the given date to UTC
and there’s a Ruby library to convert from and into UTC ,which is basically
Best regards,

And for most timezones, the utc offset depends also on the full time,
since
it is different during the period, if any, for which daylight saving
time is
observed for the particular timezone.

The TZinfo gem can be used to handle this, once you dig in and
understand
it.

Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

On Aug 22, 3:04 pm, Rick DeNatale [email protected] wrote:

00:15 - 0815
probably be in China, Malaysia, Singapore,
World timezones map with current time- 24 hour format (the map has nice zoom-in

Rick DeNatale

My blog on Rubyhttp://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

Actually, this is for a Rails project. Will the Rails 2.1 help in this
case?

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 07:56:11 +0900
Von: “[email protected][email protected]
An: [email protected]

An: [email protected]

00:00 - 0800
One of the two times is your local time zone (if it’s +08:00, you’ll

it is different during the period, if any, for which daylight saving
My blog on Rubyhttp://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

Actually, this is for a Rails project. Will the Rails 2.1 help in this
case?

You’ll have to ask that on the Rails mailing list or test it out
yourself.

Best regards,

Axel