Database Sessions with Oracle 10g Problem

Hello all,

I changed the app to use the active_record_store for sessions. This
worked fine in my Windows development environment. Then I moved the
app over to the Linux Dev environment and now I am seeing oracle
ORA-24812 errors as soon as I access the app. The WIndows and Linux
environments point to the same database. The linux box is using a
oracle full client although, since I did not install it, I do not know
the exact one.

Any ideas? Any help is appreciated


Error from log:
May 03 21:17:03 appd01 rails[14929]: OCIError (Error while trying to
retrieve text for error ORA-24812): /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/
1.8/oci8.rb:837:in write' /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ oci8.rb:837:inwrite’ /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/
connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:56:in write_lobs' /vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/ oracle_adapter.rb:49:ineach’ /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/
write_lobs' /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/ callbacks.rb:333:insend’ /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/
active_record/callbacks.rb:333:in callback' /vendor/rails/ activerecord/lib/active_record/callbacks.rb:330:ineach’ /vendor/
callback' /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/ callbacks.rb:243:increate_or_update’ /vendor/rails/activerecord/
lib/active_record/base.rb:1546:in save_without_validation' /vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/validations.rb:752:insave_without_transactions’ /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/
active_record/transactions.rb:129:in save' /vendor/rails/ activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/ database_statements.rb:59:intransaction’ /vendor/rails/
activerecord/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:95:in transaction' / vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:121:intransaction’ /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/
transactions.rb:129:in save' /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/ action_controller/session/active_record_store.rb:309:inupdate’ /
silence' /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/session/ active_record_store.rb:309:inupdate’ /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/

Hello. I figured out what the issue was. The ORACLE_HOME and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variables were not being set. The application
worked fine if I started mongrel manually locally on the box since the
variables are in the bash_profile. The application fails if I used cap
to start/restart mongrel. The weird thing is the whole app worked fine
until I told it to start using the active record store for sessions. I
guess it was a problem with using CLOB datatypes.

I used the following solution:

I also found a couple more if that one does not work for you:

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs