On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Robert K. wrote:
doesn’t touch the A drive. I wonder. I’ll have to strace the program I’m
running, itself. Probably something messes with the
definition of glob.
I’ve not done this yet, partly because there is a Huge amount of output
from strace, and I’m not entirely sure what to search for, but partly
because I have investigated other things
I would be searching for “/cygdrive/a” and see what you get. If that fails,
I’d probably search for “/cygdrive” only and then for IO calls (“open” and the
This problem just gets better. I’ve not rebooted, but now it is not
accessing the A: drive. With or without strace, the drive is not
I didn’t see eny refs to /cygdrive/a when I did
strace ruby ./ff.rb -i ~ | grep -C 8 /cygdrive/a
and dropping the /a turns up way too much.
Just retried, and now it does access it but the grep still doesn’t find
anything. It is using the correct ruby – the cygwin one.
OK, I think I won’t pursue this any further, because it feels like
“we’re on a road to nowhere”. I got the version with
Find.find working last night, so I’m going to see if that finishes
in a sensible amount of time.
I think there’s enough of this left in the archives for someone else
to explore it. I’m using Ferret_helper, and version 1.1.1, to get these
problems. 1.2.1 will use Find.find. My release which should have had
the number 1.2.0 after I took it over from Stuart R. didn’t get the
number updated, but it uses the same as 1.1.0 for this bit of code.
So if anyone poking in the archives feels inclined to explore this
I think all will change with cygwin 1.7 anyway, though.
The globbing on my Windows XP system took over a day. I’m thinking of
rewriting that bit using File.find. I’ve also found that I can’t kill it
with while it is globbing.