CPU load monitoring / dynamically limit number of connections to server

Hi to all,

Is there a way to monitor the busyness of my dedicated server cpu cores
and
stop serving new connections passed a given cpu load threshold?
Put another way, what is the standard approach/technique to dynamically
limit the maximum number of connections my machine can cope with?

Thank you,

ohenley

Posted at Nginx Forum:

Module ngx_http_limit_conn_module - not
system load based though

Anoop P Alias

‎Bear in mind one IP can be many eyeballs. I use the module with a
setting of 10 per IP. I set the firewall to a higher limit to allow some
non-web services, but not infinite. This can fight back a very
unsophisticated DOS attack. A real DOS is distributed, so the IP limit
won’t be useful.

I had a document hit Twitter and their servers hammered my lowly VPS.
Besides an IP limit, I suggest a rewrite to eliminate hot linking, which
effectively is what Twitter can do. If they tweet a link to a webpage,
no problem. That would limit those twitter users to each individually
set their browser ‎to a webpage, which slows the requests. Out of
paranoia, I blocked all of Twitter IP space. The same for Facebook.
Again, the eyeballs can use their ISP via a link. I’m not comfortable
with social media companies directly accessing my server since they have
huge data bandwidth.

That leaves large corporations and universities as the situation where
one IP is really many eyeballs. A connection limit of 10 will be too low
in these cases occasionally, but you have to set the limit somewhere.