Could not find RubyGem - because it's not a gem


#1

Hi all,

Sorry, a bit of a cross-post here, because I’m not sure if this is a
Rails issue or a gems issue. The problem is that I’ve got sys-admin
installed, just not as a gem, and that’s causing a problem.

First, some config info:

RubyGems Environment:

  • RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.0
  • RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [i386-mswin32_80]
  • INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
  • EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/ruby/bin
  • RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    • ruby
    • x86-mswin32-80
  • GEM PATHS:
    • C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    • C:/Documents and Settings/djberge/.gem/ruby/1.8
  • GEM CONFIGURATION:
    • :update_sources => true
    • :verbose => true
    • :benchmark => false
    • :backtrace => false
    • :bulk_threshold => 1000
  • REMOTE SOURCES:

irb(main):001:0> require ‘sys/admin’
=> true

However, if I try to fire up Rails I get this:

C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:628:in
report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem sys-admin (>= 0) (Gem::LoadError) from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:139:inactivate’
from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:163:in
activate' from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:162:ineach’
from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:162:in
activate' from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 31:inrequire’
from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/
active_support/dependencies.rb:510:in require' from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:355:innew_constants_in’
from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/
active_support/dependencies.rb:510:in require' ... 12 levels... from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.1.1/lib/commands/ server.rb:39 from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:ingem_original_require’
from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
27:in `require’
from script/server:3

What’s happening here? Problem with my setup or environment? Or a
problem with Rails?

Thanks,

Dan


#2

Daniel B. wrote:

irb(main):001:0> require ‘sys/admin’
=> true

both library are different

‘sys/admin’ and ‘sys-admin’

However, if I try to fire up Rails I get this:

C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:628:in
`report_activate_error’: Could not find RubyGem sys-admin (>= 0)
(Gem::LoadError)
from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:139:in

may be you have written like this(require ‘sys-admin’) in you
environment.rb

change to
require ‘sys\admin’

suppose if your are correct then try to install
gem install sys-admin

by mokkai


#3

On Oct 15, 11:06 pm, Sniper A. removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:628:in
`report_activate_error’: Could not find RubyGem sys-admin (>= 0)
(Gem::LoadError)
from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:139:in

may be you have written like this(require ‘sys-admin’) in you
environment.rb

change to
require ‘sys\admin’

No, that’s not the issue.

suppose if your are correct then try to install
gem install sys-admin

Problematic at the moment I’m afraid.

Regards,

Dan


#4

Daniel B. wrote:

require ‘sys\admin’

No, that’s not the issue.

suppose if your are correct then try to install
gem install sys-admin

Problematic at the moment I’m afraid.

Hey Dan,

Have you tried modifying the load path with the ‘gem’ command? It seems
to be able to map the path to the gem, which makes me think that’s not
the issue, but it’s worth trying perhaps; maybe something activesupport
is doing is getting in the way.

Worst case, if it works you’re on the path to a real fix. :slight_smile:

-Erik


#5

On Oct 15, 3:49 pm, Daniel B. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

  • RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [i386-mswin32_80]
    • :update_sources => true
      However, if I try to fire up Rails I get this:
      activate' server.rb:39 from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:ingem_original_require’
      from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:
      27:in `require’
      from script/server:3

What’s happening here? Problem with my setup or environment? Or a
problem with Rails?

Ok, I think I’ve narrow this down a bit. The background to this is
that I’ve installed the library called “win32-file” via rubygems. That
library has a dependency on win32-file-stat, which in turn has a
dependency on windows-pr, which in turn has a dependency on windows-
api which in turn has a dependency on win32-api.

You with me so far? It’s the win32-api gem (or lack thereof) that’s
ultimately causing the issue.

You see, I’m using a custom built Ruby using VC++ 8.0, so I had to
uninstall win32-api (because the current binary gem I have out there
is incompatible with my runtime), so that rubygems defaults to the
win32-api I’ve built by hand and installed in Ruby’s sitelibdir. At
least that’s what I thought it would do.

And here’s where it seems to get confused. Because one of the
dependencies itself has a dependency on win32-api, but I’ve removed
the win32-api gem, it dies instead of resorting to
gem_original_require as a last ditch effort.

I think this can be resolved by rescuing Gem::LoadError in
custom_require.rb, but I’m still deciding how to proceed.

If anyone has any suggestion in the meantime, I’m all ears.

Regards,

Dan