Contributions

Hi there

I would love to contribute to this open source project. Ive been
learning
Ruby for the last year, and Ive fallen in love with the language. Its
not
in my way, its fun and productive.

Ive been a .NET developer for too many years, and it was really fun to
experience such a great language as Ruby outside the .NET world.
Nevertheless, I would love to be able to run Ruby upon the .NET runtime,
especially in my projects at work. For me to be able to use it in real
world
projects, it has to become faster and more stable. My employer is a big
fan
of standardization and well known solutions. They wouldnt go for
anything
except Java or .NET. Im sure they dont mind what language we use, but
they
do care about the platform.

How can I help? Are the Contribution ideas still valid?
http://github.com/ironruby/ironruby/wiki/Contribution-Ideas

When things ended as they did, and Microsoft stopped to support the
Iron*
languages, I was really happy how they made the handover to the
community.
With Miguel and his team in charge, Im sure this is going to end well. I
believe there are many .NET developers out there that would love to be
able
to run Ruby code in .NET.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Gran H.
Aspiring Software Craftsman
Microsoft Regional Director

http://twitter.com/goeran
http://goeran.no
[email protected]
+47 452 39 113

Hi Gran,
Good to see your interest.

The Wiki might be a bit out of date. Some areas that need work and
nobody’s working on them afaik (if anyone works on it, speak up) are

  •      Complex and Rational numbers (new to 1.9): to make stuff work

I took 1.8 implementations and loaded them to emulate builtin Complex
and Rational classes. This is a big hack. We need to implement these
classes in C# in the standard libraries. To support .NET interop the
implementation should also convert to the existing Complex type on the
platform. This is a good task for someone who likes hacking numbers.

  •      Related one: although BigDecimal class is implemented it

feels like it needs some perf improvements - I noticed some specs are
running quite slower than MRI. There are also some failing specs in
BigDecimal (and BigNum) that would be good to fix so that we have fully
compatible implementation.

  •      If you are into cryptography one big missing piece is OpenSSL

implementation. There might be pieces that you can share with
IronPython’s ssl library implementation.

  •      Then there is bunch of misc failing specs that need to be

fixed. One big area is ARGF but there are many others as well. See
External.LCA_RESTRICTED\Languages\IronRuby\mspec\ironruby-tags-19.

  •      If you were more interested in compiler and runtime you can

look into implementing nested method parameters and optional block
parameters. This is quite tricky though you need to really understand
how the runtime works to implement it correctly.

  •      VS integration always needs improvements. The VS is quite

complex environment so it takes a while to learn how it works.

Then there is FFI implementation going on - maybe it needs some help?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Tomas

[...]

[email protected]mailto:[email protected]
+47 452 39 113

  •      If you are into cryptography one big missing piece is OpenSSL

implementation. There might be pieces that you can share with IronPython’s
ssl library implementation.

Not sure whether this exists or not, or whether it would even work. But
it
might be a good idea if there was a “Iron.Common” library that contained
functionality that was common across all Iron* projects.

There is - it’s called the DLR :slight_smile:

Microsoft.Dynamic.dll is the right place for shared code.

Tomas

Tomas,

Thanks for getting back at me. I think it would be wise to start with
something that I know. Ive written a plugin for VS2010 before, and feel
quite comfortable doing that, even though its a large and complex
environment.

Ill check out the IronRuby VS integration as it is.

What I like about programming Ruby Netbeans and RubyMine is that they
have a
built in test runner for RSpec. Is there an RSpec test runner for VS and
IronRuby? If not, that would be a fun task to start with :slight_smile:

Gran

From: [email protected] [mailto:
Ruby for the last year, and Ive fallen in love with the language. Its not

Ironruby-core mailing list

Gran H.
Aspiring Software Craftsman
Microsoft Regional Director & MVP

http://twitter.com/goeran
http://goeran.no
[email protected]
+47 452 39 113

Hello Tomas,
I would like to continue my work with OpenSSL. I will re-fork
IronRuby
and update my progress here.

Best,
-Jirapong

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Tomas M. <

I can’t find an integrated VS test runner for RSpec. Maybe I didn’t look
hard enough? But it seems to me that it’s missing.

Is this something that would be useful? If so, do you have any ideas for
implementation? I think it would be wise to go for the low hanging fruit
in
the first version. For instance just make a Command in VS, and execute
ir
spec_file.rb and output it in the Output window in Visual Studio. When
it’s
a command, it’s possible to assign a keyboard shortcut to execute the
specs.

Gran

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Gran H. [email protected] wrote:

[email protected]> wrote:

  •      Complex and Rational numbers (new to 1.9): to make stuff work

implementation.
look into implementing nested method parameters and optional block

I would love to contribute to this open source project. Ive been learning
do care about the platform.
Hope to hear from you soon!

Aspiring Software Craftsman
Microsoft Regional Director & MVP

http://twitter.com/goeran
http://goeran.no
[email protected]
+47 452 39 113

Gran H.
Aspiring Software Craftsman
Microsoft Regional Director & MVP

http://twitter.com/goeran
http://goeran.no
[email protected]
+47 452 39 113

There may be a plugin for Gallio not sure…

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Gran H. [email protected] wrote:

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Gran H. [email protected] wrote:

What I like about programming Ruby Netbeans and RubyMine is that they have

Hi Gran,
Rational classes. This is a big hack. We need to implement these classes in

  • If you are into cryptography one big missing piece is OpenSSL
    the runtime works to implement it correctly.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Gran H.
    Its not in my way, its fun and productive.
    How can I help? Are the Contribution ideas still

    Ironruby-core mailing list

Microsoft Regional Director & MVP

Michael L.
IronRuby MVP
http://blog.prokrams.com

Jirapong,

What are your thoughts on wrapping the Bouncy Castle Crypto APIs:
http://www.bouncycastle.org/

I think this is what JRuby does, but rather than distributing it as part
of
JRuby, they release it a a gem (jruby-ssl, I believe) and encourgae you
install it.

Will G.
http://hotgazpacho.org/

Hello Will,
Thank you for the link. I will check it out. My primary purpose/need
for OpenSSL is to make it work for Rails (done) and RubyGems over SSL
(in progress). so, In area any area of build in OpenSSL related to
RubyGems will get implement first. I’m not sure if Rubygems can use
jruby-ssl without modify the source.

Best,
-Jirapong