Contributing to IronRuby on *nix

Hello everyone,

Recently I’ve been trying develop a gem with native extensions in C,
Java and C# just to learn what’s involved. When working with IronRuby, I
ran into a few small issues so I figured I’d learn how to build and
modify IronRuby source so I can take a shot at fixing these issues and
contribute something to the project, if possible.

Now, when working with IronRuby I’m having a pretty hard time in both
cases because I’m not on Windows. For now I’m on OSX, and when I return
this oh-so-awesome-but-hugely-expensive laptop to my employers, I’ll be
developing on Linux. Can you help me or give me any advice on how I can
get started fixing bugs on IronRuby when developing on Mono? Is there a
guide somewhere already on how to get a dev environment up on Mono using
Emacs/TextMate/MonoDevelop?

Cheers,
Sidu.

http://twitter.com/ponnappa

no guide so far.

To work and browse the IronRuby source I’ve been using monodevelop.
For ruby dev I’ve been using textmate on mac, gmate (plugin for gedit)
on
ubuntu and notepad++ on windows, as well as Rubymine on all platforms
but
that doesn’t feel completely right.

With monodevelop you can open the IronRuby solution as is and start
hacking.
there should be a dev.sh file which should set the right environment
variables and aliases when you source it. I know the ironruby team did
work
to make ironruby work properly on mono a while ago.

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

FWIW http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/ has general developer
info. Please add to it if you can.

Tomas made it easy to develop against Mono on Windows. See attached.

To work and browse the IronRuby source I’ve been using monodevelop.
For ruby dev I’ve been using textmate on mac, gmate (plugin for gedit)
on ubuntu and notepad++ on windows, as well as Rubymine on all platforms
but that doesn’t feel completely right.

With monodevelop you can open the IronRuby solution as is and start
hacking.
there should be a dev.sh file which should set the right environment
variables and aliases when you source it. I know the ironruby team did
work to make ironruby work properly on mono a while ago.

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM, C. K. Ponnappa
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
[...]

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Ok.

In that case you can find a dev.sh and alias.sh in the following links

http://github.com/casualjim/ironruby/blob/linux/Merlin/Main/Languages/Ruby/Scripts/dev.sh
http://github.com/casualjim/ironruby/blob/linux/Merlin/Main/Scripts/Bat/Alias.sh

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

Fair enough - I’ll try to get an environment going and document it along
the way (and put it onto the github wiki should I succeed). Thanks for
the tips.

Cheers,
Sidu.