Continuous integration server

what are people using for CI servers for their Java/JRuby/JRuby on Rails
projects?

what are people using for mixed Java/Ruby builds?

I’m trying to convince someone to go from Java to JRuby/Java/JRuby on
Rails
for the platform…

thanks
phil

Hi phil,

At my work we are currently building a new product that consists of
multiple
Rails apps, a few services, multiple deployment locations (we have a
central
NOC where we have stuff and we also have stuff at customer sites(cable
operators))

This new product (we are 2 sprints into it with an October goal for v1
in a
customer’s test lab) uses JRuby on Rails, Ruby services controlled by a
Java
Service Wrapper (wrapper.tanukisoftware.org), Glassfish and a couple of
java
servlets. So it sounds similar to where you are at?

For the mixed build we are using CruiseControl (it comes with a Rake
task)
and we are using Rake to build, at Unit test (and eventually kit)
everything.

For our unit testing we are currently working to integrate in
CI_Reporter
which reformats test output into the XML format that CC understands.

For mixed builds we did look quickly at raven but decided to just create
javac and jar task for ourselves and stick to rake.

I’d be happy to talk more if you are interested.

Jay

what are people using for CI servers for their Java/JRuby/JRuby on Rails
projects?

what are people using for mixed Java/Ruby builds?

I’m trying to convince someone to go from Java to JRuby/Java/JRuby on
Rails
for the platform…

thanks
phil

interesting…

did you look at buildr?

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Jay McGaffigan
[email protected]

There are some options here:
http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/JRuby_and_Continuous_Integration

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 1:53 PM, phil swenson [email protected]
wrote:

a customer’s test lab) uses JRuby on Rails, Ruby services controlled by a

I’d be happy to talk more if you are interested.

thanks
phil

Aloha!

Mike McKinney
(http://blog.huikau.com)

any comments on the best one? I want to execute both ruby and java
tests…

Does anyone use the jruby-maven-plugin? It seems like viable mixed-build
option, but I haven’t tried it.
http://mojo.codehaus.org/jruby-maven-plugin/index.html

— On Thu, 7/10/08, Mike McKinney [email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

sites(cable operators))
you are at?

rake.

what are people using for CI servers for their
phil

Aloha!

Mike McKinney
(http://blog.huikau.com)

phil swenson wrote:

We’re using Hudson which I find to be an excellent CI server (written in
Java). It’s available here:

https://hudson.dev.java.net/

We then use the ci_reporter gem to convert ruby Test Unit test cases
into the junit xml format which hudson can grok. The rails project
currently uses rake and the MRI (not JRuby) to run the tests (executed
as a shell script). I’d imagine this would just work in JRuby though.

I’d like to see better out of the box support in hudson for ruby/rails
projects though (Specifically a wizard interface for doing them). This
said it works quite well.

We’re successfully using this on a Rails project, and many Java
projects. We also have a Java project which calls into JRuby, and have
extended JUnit TestCase, to do some database initialisation via some
Rails fixtures prior to the test run (overriding setUp() and
tearDown()). This works, but the code I wrote to do it is pretty ugly.
I have some methods (accesssible from within JUnit) which also allow
you to perform database assertions via Ruby. I’m kind of curious if
anyone else thinks that developing a hybrid JUnit/JRuby framework for
testing Java code that operates around an ActiveRecord DB is a good
idea. I suspect such a framework could become quite nice, but at the
moment it’s incomplete and a bit of a pig.

R.

We didn’t really look at buildr largely because we didn’t find it :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it good?