I had the exact same problem on a fresh install of Ubuntu. As Fred
mentioned, the readline libs are missing by default.
I stumbled for a while and got lucky with google… went something like
this but I can’t remember the exact steps…
- apt-get install build_essential
- apt-get install libncurses5-dev libreadline5-dev
- download ruby 1.8.5 source,
- edit the ext/setup file to statically import all libs that don’t
sound like microsoft ones (this step may not be needed but I did it
- run: configure, make, make install
- download gems source from rubyforge
- ruby setup.rb
- gem install rails
Getting the debian/ubuntu mysql bindings to work with ruby was another
hope this helps
Michael S. wrote:
I just had to do a reinstall, and somehow something is missing. When I
try to run ruby script/console, I get the error message
in `require’: no such file to load – readline
Obviously, I left something out, but I’m not sure what or where to start
trying to get it fixed.
I know there are a lot of ruby experts here. Could some of you point me
in the right direction.
As always, thanks in advance