From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 8.43AM
Subject: connecting to sap in ruby

Hello guys,

I am researching on how to connect to sap using ruby scripting. Well, I

have found some websites that talks about connecting ruby to sap and

most of their idea is to use SAP::RFC to connect to sap in ruby. I have

tried connecting to sap in ruby using SAP::RFC and all things went

right.

My question is is there any other way to connect to sap in ruby w/o

using SAP::RFC? Additionally, is it possible to manipulate the objects

inside sap (like clicking buttons, adding text to textbox inside the

sap)?

Sorry for my late reply.

I am trying to look for a ruby gem that will connect to sap (aside from
saprfc gem). My idea of integrating ruby with sap is just like using
watir to make a test script for a web page. If you’ve already seen watir
drived websites, well that’s what I want to do (manipulate objecs inside
a program).

Currently, i’m doing scripts in watir for process automation in the
websites that I am handling. This process automation is what I wanted to
do in sap, using ruby (to make a script for automating the reports that
I generate in sap).

As for now, i’m still exploring if my idea is possible…
If anyone has an idea about how to solve my problem, your help is highly
appreciated.

unknown wrote:

I’ve been watching with interest to see if anyone replied to this, but
it doesn’t look as though they’re going to :-(. I’m afraid I can’t
answer your question: I’m also working on Ruby to SAP, but have settled
on the RFC route. I’m intruiged by your application,though: my interest
is in providing a web interface to the R/3 system, but it sounds as
though you’re planning to replace the SAP screens entirely… Would be
very interested to hear what you’re doing and how you get on.

Good luck!

Catherine

I am researching on how to connect to sap using ruby scripting. Well, I

have found some websites that talks about connecting ruby to sap and

most of their idea is to use SAP::RFC to connect to sap in ruby. I have

tried connecting to sap in ruby using SAP::RFC and all things went

right.

My question is is there any other way to connect to sap in ruby w/o

using SAP::RFC? Additionally, is it possible to manipulate the objects

inside sap (like clicking buttons, adding text to textbox inside the

sap)?

to SAP, but have settled on the RFC route. I’m intruiged by

your application,though: my interest is in providing a web

interface to the R/3 system, but it sounds as though you’re

i think piers harding also frequents this list. you might try
https://weblogs.sdn.sap.com/pub/u/8630. he has interesting blogs on
rails/ruby w sap. of course, piers make saprfc libs
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/owner.rhtml?id=1644. his blog on
https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/2111 shows that
even the sap hacker djadams uses ruby…
btw, i myself, would prefer web access to sap just because of its
ubiquitousness. and besides, who needs fat clients when you’ve got
ajax/rails/nitro :slight_smile:
kind regards -botp

Hi - is this an OLE automation type thing that you are thinking of?

If it is - then there are drivers for the SAP GUI, but then again I
maybe completely missunderstanding what you want?

Cheers,

Piers H…

I’m sorry for my late reply (again).

Hi Piers and thanks for your reply.

Yes, this is an OLE automation.

I was hoping if i can manipulate the objects inside sap (clicking gui
buttons, entering text in textboxes etc in sap). Like what watir (web
application testing in ruby) can do to a html webpage (clicking buttons
and entering text in textboxes automatically), this is what i want to do
in sap. Are there any ruby gems/libraries (aside from your sap::rfc)?
Could you please give me the website where I can download these/this
ruby gem(s)?

Again, thanks for your reply.

Piers H. wrote:

Hi - is this an OLE automation type thing that you are thinking of?

If it is - then there are drivers for the SAP GUI, but then again I
maybe completely missunderstanding what you want?

Cheers,

Piers H…

I was searching for a similar functionality and come across this post.
It will be of great help if some one can direct me on SAP OLE
interfacing using ruby.

Regards

SOumya