Connecting to Outlook 'Saved Items' folder using win32ole

Can anyone tell me how to connect to the ‘Saved Items’ folder in Outlook
using WIN32OLE? I can get to all the other folders using
GetDefaultFolder(), but I can’t seem to get to the ‘Saved Items’ folder
this way. mapi.Folders.Item(‘Saved Items’) doesn’t do it either.

Thanks in advance. Alex

I’m curious. Are you connecting to Outlook through an Exchange Server
or a stand-alone client?

Bill

Alex DeCaria wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to connect to the ‘Saved Items’ folder in Outlook
using WIN32OLE? I can get to all the other folders using
GetDefaultFolder(), but I can’t seem to get to the ‘Saved Items’ folder
this way. mapi.Folders.Item(‘Saved Items’) doesn’t do it either.

Thanks in advance. Alex

Bill Davenport wrote:

I’m curious. Are you connecting to Outlook through an Exchange Server
or a stand-alone client?

Bill

Alex DeCaria wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to connect to the ‘Saved Items’ folder in Outlook
using WIN32OLE? I can get to all the other folders using
GetDefaultFolder(), but I can’t seem to get to the ‘Saved Items’ folder
this way. mapi.Folders.Item(‘Saved Items’) doesn’t do it either.

Thanks in advance. Alex

Bill,

I’m connecting through an exhange server. I am able to access my inbox,
deleted items, etc., and also my ‘personal folders’. I just can’t
figure out how to get to the ‘saved items’.

Alex

Alex DeCaria wrote:

Bill Davenport wrote:

I’m curious. Are you connecting to Outlook through an Exchange Server
or a stand-alone client?

Bill

Alex DeCaria wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to connect to the ‘Saved Items’ folder in Outlook
using WIN32OLE? I can get to all the other folders using
GetDefaultFolder(), but I can’t seem to get to the ‘Saved Items’ folder
this way. mapi.Folders.Item(‘Saved Items’) doesn’t do it either.

Thanks in advance. Alex

Bill,

I’m connecting through an exhange server. I am able to access my inbox,
deleted items, etc., and also my ‘personal folders’. I just can’t
figure out how to get to the ‘saved items’.

Alex

Alex,

I have ubuntu and if I open a file browser and you should be able to
connect the Exchange server. This will let you view the contents of your
Sent Items.
dav:///exchange//Sent%20Items

I haven’t used the win32ole so I chose to use what Exchange uses
natively – WebDAV. I hope this helps.

If you know what you’re looking for within the Sent Items folder I have
some code.

Bill,

Thanks for your time and patience. It’s actually the ‘Saved Items’ that
I’m trying to access, not the ‘Sent Items’ (which I am able to access).
Underneath the ‘Saved Items’ I have a bunch of sub-folders where I am
storing e-mails that are kept on our server. If I move one of those
folders into the ‘Personal Folders’ I can then access it, but then it is
on my local machine and no longer on our server.

So my issue is, I can get to ‘Inbox’, ‘Sent Items’, ‘Appointments’,
‘Deleted Items’, and ‘Personal Folders’, but just not ‘Saved Items’.

I think my issue is a WIN32OLE issue, but again I thank you for your
time in trying to help.

  • Alex

I misread. Is ‘Saved Items’ a folder you created. Look at the structure
I don’t see it. I don’t see it in OWA or in Outlook either.

bill

Alex,

I have ubuntu and if I open a file browser and you should be able to
connect the Exchange server. This will let you view the contents of your
Sent Items.
dav:///exchange//Sent%20Items

I haven’t used the win32ole so I chose to use what Exchange uses
natively – WebDAV. I hope this helps.

If you know what you’re looking for within the Sent Items folder I have
some code.

Bill,

Thanks for your time and patience. It’s actually the ‘Saved Items’ that
I’m trying to access, not the ‘Sent Items’ (which I am able to access).
Underneath the ‘Saved Items’ I have a bunch of sub-folders where I am
storing e-mails that are kept on our server. If I move one of those
folders into the ‘Personal Folders’ I can then access it, but then it is
on my local machine and no longer on our server.

So my issue is, I can get to ‘Inbox’, ‘Sent Items’, ‘Appointments’,
‘Deleted Items’, and ‘Personal Folders’, but just not ‘Saved Items’.

I think my issue is a WIN32OLE issue, but again I thank you for your
time in trying to help.

  • Alex

Bill Davenport wrote:

I misread. Is ‘Saved Items’ a folder you created. Look at the structure
I don’t see it. I don’t see it in OWA or in Outlook either.

bill

Bill,

Yes, actually it is one I created. I should have been more specific.
But I did create it on the server-side of things, so it resides as a
subfolder under my ‘Mailbox’. I’m now thinking that may be why I can’t
access it, because maybe WIN32OLE can’t recognize it.

Alex

Alex DeCaria wrote:

Bill Davenport wrote:

I misread. Is ‘Saved Items’ a folder you created. Look at the structure
I don’t see it. I don’t see it in OWA or in Outlook either.

bill

Bill,

Yes, actually it is one I created. I should have been more specific.
But I did create it on the server-side of things, so it resides as a
subfolder under my ‘Mailbox’. I’m now thinking that may be why I can’t
access it, because maybe WIN32OLE can’t recognize it.

Alex

I created a ‘Saved Items’ and was able to access it using WebDAV.

Try this in irb.

require ‘uri’
require ‘net/http’
include Exchange
uri_path = URI.parse(“http://///exchange//Sent%20Items/.eml”)
request = Net::HTTP::Get.new(uri_path.path, {“translate” => “F”})
login = “login”
pass = “password”
request.basic_auth(login, pass)
response = Net::HTTP.start(uri_path.host) {|http| http.request(request)}
response.body

BTW: I have to leave on a trip. Good luck with you project.

-bill

include Exchange

OOPS: DO NOT USE THE “include Exchange”. That was a typo.

Bill Davenport wrote:

include Exchange

OOPS: DO NOT USE THE “include Exchange”. That was a typo.

Bill,

OK. Thanks for the help. I’ll give it a try! Enjoy your trip.

Alex

Bill,

As closure, I did figure out a way to do this in Windows using WIN32OLE.
The attached program will locate a folder in the Outlook Mailbox, and
then print the names of any subfolders in the folder as well as the
subjects of any messages in the folder.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Alex

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs