Confusion At Failing Specs

Can someone please explain to me why this spec fails

it “should work” do
template.stub!(:render)
template.should_receive(:render).with(:partial => “foo”)
render @template_with_render_partial_foo
end

but this spec passes

it “should work” do
@foo.stub!(:bar)
@foo.should_receive(:bar).with(:baz)
@foo.bar :baz
end

It seems like they should work similarly and indeed this has worked for
me
until I switched to gem rspec-rails from vendor/plugin [recent]. Not
sure
what I’m doing wrong here.

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Russell N. [email protected]
wrote:

end

end

It seems like they should work similarly and indeed this has worked for me
until I switched to gem rspec-rails from vendor/plugin [recent]. Not sure
what I’m doing wrong here.

In the first example, you call “stub!(:render)”. This is stubbing all
calls to render with any arguments. So you’ve stubbed the call that
“render @template_with_render_partial_foo” makes.

Try: template.stub!(:render).with(:partial => anything)


Zach D.
http://www.continuousthinking.com
http://www.mutuallyhuman.com

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Russell N. [email protected]
wrote:

Can someone please explain to me why this spec fails

it “should work” do

template.stub!(:render)

template.should_receive(:render).with(:partial => “foo”)

render @template_with_render_partial_foo

Can you put the rest of the spec and the view in? What failure message
are you getting?

Zach,

Thank you so much. That works for me.

I’m still confused why stubbing all calls to :bar on @foo would allow
@foo.should_receive(:bar).with(:baz) when this doesn’t work though. But
I
feel like I’m looking a gift horse in the mouth here!

RSL

Per David’s request i made a pastie of the whole view and the whole test
of
an example of this. as well as the output. http://pastie.org/309868

RSL

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Russell N. [email protected]
wrote:

Zach,

Thank you so much. That works for me.

I’m still confused why stubbing all calls to :bar on @foo would allow
@foo.should_receive(:bar).with(:baz) when this doesn’t work though. But I
feel like I’m looking a gift horse in the mouth here!

The reason this doesn’t work is because rspec’s “render” method in
your view example is just wrapping a call to the actual template.
Here’s what I mean. Given your example:

it “should work” do
template.stub!(:render)
template.should_receive(:render).with(:partial => “foo”)
render @template_with_render_partial_foo
# in your view you call <%= render :partial => “foo” %>
end

Here’s what it is really doing:

it “should work” do
@controller.template.stub!(:render)
@controller.template.should_receive(:render).with(:partial => “foo”)
@controller.template.render @template_with_render_partial_foo
# in your view you call <%= render :partial => “foo” %>
@controller.template.render :partial => “foo”
end

The @controller.template is the actual template that gets rendered.
The “render” call in your example is made on the same template object
that the actual “render :partial” call is made on. So, when you make
the call to render the @template_with_render_partial_foo you have
stubbed out that render method and it never actually renders anything
causing your example to fail because it never gets to the view
template that calls ‘render :partial => “foo”’

Hopefully this helps clear it up?


Zach D.
http://www.continuousthinking.com
http://www.mutuallyhuman.com

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs