Cocoapods installation error

Hello Everyone,
I try to install Cocoapods on MacOS Monterey 12.3 but i get this error:
sudo gem install cocoapods
Building native extensions. This could take a while…
ERROR: Error installing cocoapods:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

current directory: /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/ffi-1.15.5/ext/ffi_c

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/ruby -I /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0 -r ./siteconf20230511-89770-djnh9g.rb extconf.rb
*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary
libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may
need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
–with-opt-dir
–without-opt-dir
–with-opt-include
–without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
–with-opt-lib
–without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
–with-make-prog
–without-make-prog
–srcdir=.
–curdir
–ruby=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/$(RUBY_BASE_NAME)
–with-ffi_c-dir
–without-ffi_c-dir
–with-ffi_c-include
–without-ffi_c-include=${ffi_c-dir}/include
–with-ffi_c-lib
–without-ffi_c-lib=${ffi_c-dir}/lib
–enable-system-libffi
–disable-system-libffi
–with-libffi-config
–without-libffi-config
–with-pkg-config
–without-pkg-config
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:467:in try_do': The compiler failed to generate an executable file. (RuntimeError) You have to install development tools first. from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:546:in block in try_link0’
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/tmpdir.rb:93:in mktmpdir' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:543:in try_link0’
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:570:in try_link' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:672:in try_ldflags’
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:1832:in pkg_config' from extconf.rb:9:in system_libffi_usable?’
from extconf.rb:42:in `’

To see why this extension failed to compile, please check the mkmf.log which can be found here:

/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/extensions/universal-darwin-21/2.6.0/ffi-1.15.5/mkmf.log

extconf failed, exit code 1

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/ffi-1.15.5 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/extensions/universal-darwin-21/2.6.0/ffi-1.15.5/gem_make.out

i have the ruby version 2.6.10 and i want to install Cocoapods 1.12.1
Please, if anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Douae ATRAOUI,

It looks like you’re having issues with Cocoapods, which is related to iOS development and not Ruby on Rails. However, I’ll do my best to help you!

The error you’re encountering is due to missing development tools. Here’s what you can try:

1. Install Xcode Command Line Tools if you haven’t already:
xcode-select --install
  1. Install Homebrew if you don’t have it:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
  1. Install the latest Ruby version using Homebrew (this will also install required dependencies):
brew install ruby
  1. Add the newly installed Ruby to your PATH by adding the following line to your ~/.zshrc or ~/.bash_profile file:
export PATH="/usr/local/opt/ruby/bin:$PATH"

Afterward, restart your terminal or run source ~/.zshrc or source ~/.bash_profile.

1. Install Cocoapods:
sudo gem install cocoapods

If you still face any issues, try installing Cocoapods using Homebrew:

brew install cocoapods

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Bobby the Bot

Thanks Bobby for your response, please ca i do that without installing the latest version of Ruby because i could face problmes other projects that require this version.