Certificate ssl and encrypt

Hi,

I’m a newbie web development and I’m working with a web project in Rails
2.x.x. I need your help.

I have 2 questions for all:

Q.1. Could you suggest me a paper or webpage for learn how to install a
certificate ssl (for example. Verisign)? Because, i understood that the
certificate i should install in the apache web server, it’s not problem
for the rails project but I’m not sure.

Q2. Is possible with any gem keep all data encrypted in the database?
Could you suggest me how to encrypt / decrypt the data in the database?

Thank you for all!

Bye!

PD: Sorry, about my Tarzan english. Any english teacher? jeje…

2011/11/16 Diego S. [email protected]:

Hi,

I’m a newbie web development and I’m working with a web project in Rails 2.x.x.
I need your help.

I have 2 questions for all:

Q.1. Could you suggest me a paper or webpage for learn how to install a
certificate ssl (for example. Verisign)? Because, i understood that the
certificate i should install in the apache web server, it’s not problem for the
rails project but I’m not sure.

Assuming that you’d like to accomplish your task using mod_ssl, this
looks quite good:

Q2. Is possible with any gem keep all data encrypted in the database? Could you
suggest me how to encrypt / decrypt the data in the database?

There’s no single definite answer to your question, it depends largely
on your requirements what you really want to achieve.
There are numerous ways to encrypt data in a database, for example you
could use existing mechanisms offered
by your database or you could do it manually on the application level.
The benefit of the former is that there are solutions
where only the physical table space is encrypted, that’s the most
preferable option because it does still process the
data itself in plain text. If you encrypt the data sets themselves,
then you need to realize that you can no longer run
queries on the data, you lose the benefits of indices etc. - in short
you basically take away all the benefits that a database
should offer you. So the best option is to only encrypt absolutely
private data and leave the rest untouched.

Additionally you should not forget to secure the connection between
app and db - use TLS for the transport, otherwise your encryption
scheme is worthless: anyone could simply read the plain text data
while it is transferred.

But this is only the beginning, a lot of traps still await you. I’d
suggest to grab a book on the topic and to do some research
on the web/Stackoverflow. That should get you started!

Regards,
Martin

Thanks Martin!

— El mi 16-nov-11, Martin B. [email protected]
escribi:

De: Martin B. [email protected]
Asunto: Re: Certificate ssl and encrypt…
Para: “ruby-talk ML” [email protected]
Fecha: mircoles, 16 de noviembre de 2011, 10:54

[...]

Thanks Brian!

— El mi 16-nov-11, Brian C. [email protected] escribi:

De: Brian C. [email protected]
Para: “ruby-talk ML” [email protected]
Fecha: mircoles, 16 de noviembre de 2011, 12:44

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC28

I’m a newbie web development and I’m working with a web project in Rails
2.x.x. I need your help.

I have 2 questions for all:

Q.1. Could you suggest me a paper or webpage for learn how to install a
certificate ssl (for example. Verisign)? Because, i understood that the
certificate i should install in the apache web server, it’s not problem
for
the rails project but I’m not sure.

Q2. Is possible with any gem keep all data encrypted in the database?
Could
you suggest me how to encrypt / decrypt the data in the database?

Thank you for all!

Bye!

PD: Sorry, about my Tarzan english. Any english teacher? jeje…

Caselle da 1GB, trasmetti allegati fino a 3GB e in piu’ IMAP, POP3 e
SMTP autenticato? GRATIS solo con Email.it http://www.email.it/f

Sponsor:
Riccione Hotel 3 stelle in centro: Pacchetto Capodanno mezza pensione,
animazione bimbi, zona relax, parcheggio. Scopri l’offerta solo per
oggi…
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid983&d)-12

De: Brian C. [email protected]
Para: “ruby-talk ML” [email protected]
Fecha: mircoles, 16 de noviembre de 2011, 12:44

Diego S. wrote in post #1032137:

Q.1. Could you suggest me a paper or webpage for learn how to install
a certificate ssl (for example. Verisign)? Because, i understood that
the certificate i should install in the apache web server, it’s not
problem for the rails project but I’m not sure.

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC28

Caselle da 1GB, trasmetti allegati fino a 3GB e in piu’ IMAP, POP3 e
SMTP autenticato? GRATIS solo con Email.it http://www.email.it/f

Sponsor:
Capodanno a Riccione, Pacchetto Relax: Mezza Pensione + bagno turco +
solarium + massaggio. Wifi e parcheggio gratis. 2 giorni euro 199 a
persona

De: Martin B. [email protected]
Para: “ruby-talk ML” [email protected]
Fecha: mircoles, 16 de noviembre de 2011, 10:54