Cannot debug IronRuby + Silverlight - any hint?

Hi,

I followed the debugging guidelines provided at the bottom of
http://silverlight.net/Quickstarts/ProgramDlr.aspx but could not get
them to
work so far.

My breakpoints in VisualStudio 2008 keep their label “This breakpoint
will
currently not be hit. No executable code is associated with this line”.

Should a specific project type or project settings be used to get this
working ?

thanks,

– Thibaut

You need to have debug=true in “initParams” in your HTML file.

That should do it.

~js

I followed the debugging guidelines provided at the bottom of
http://silverlight.net/Quickstarts/ProgramDlr.aspx but could not get
them to work so far.

My breakpoints in VisualStudio 2008 keep their label “This breakpoint
will currently not be hit. No executable code is associated with this
line”.

Should a specific project type or project settings be used to get this
working ?

thanks,

– Thibaut

Hi Jimmy,

thanks for you answer. The application cannot seem to start when using a
semicolon to separate values in initParams. I tried comma instead (the
application manages to start this way - not sure if the param is passed
properly though):

  <param name="initParams"

value=“debug=true,reportErrors=errorLocation”
/>

either way, the breakpoints remain in the same state (inactivated).

I guess it’s a first step although something still must be missing. When
refreshing the browser windows, should a new debugger pop up ? Could it
be
some option at the internet explorer level ?

thanks,

– Thibaut

Woops, it’s suppose to be a comma, my fault.

No worries :slight_smile:

I may be mistaken, but I believe only the IronRuby bits on
http://dynamicsilverlight.net can be debugged in Silverlight. I just did a
test and I cannot debug the ruby clock demo with the Silverlight SDK bits,
but it works with the Dynamic Silverlight bits. So, first make sure you’re
using the latest and greatest stuff from the web.

Hooray. It works now! FWIW: the simplest way to do this for me was to
copy the Dynamic SDK dlls from /bin to my application /app (it seems
that Chiron will pick them instead if they are here).

thanks!

– Thibaut

the simplest way to do this for me was to
copy the Dynamic SDK dlls from /bin to my application /app (it seems
that Chiron will pick them instead if they are here).

Sure. =) You can also put them in the /bin directory that Chiron points
to so all your apps can use them.

~js

Woops, it’s suppose to be a comma, my fault.

I may be mistaken, but I believe only the IronRuby bits on
http://dynamicsilverlight.net can be debugged in Silverlight. I just did
a test and I cannot debug the ruby clock demo with the Silverlight SDK
bits, but it works with the Dynamic Silverlight bits. So, first make
sure you’re using the latest and greatest stuff from the web.

If you run the app, open the ruby file in VS, put a breakpoint in it,
attach to your browser running the app, and refresh the browser, you
should see the breakpoint flicker a bit and then break at the line.

This shouldn’t depend on any IE settings; you can debug Firefox as well.

thanks for you answer. The application cannot seem to start when using a
semicolon to separate values in initParams. I tried comma instead (the
application manages to start this way - not sure if the param is passed
properly though):

  <param name="initParams"

value=“debug=true,reportErrors=errorLocation” />

either way, the breakpoints remain in the same state (inactivated).

I guess it’s a first step although something still must be missing. When
refreshing the browser windows, should a new debugger pop up ? Could it
be some option at the internet explorer level ?

thanks,

– Thibaut

In case it’s useful to someone else - I gathered those tips here:

I believe it’s pretty much what’s here :
http://silverlight.net/Quickstarts/ProgramDlr.aspx except for:

  • debug=true
  • grab the latest IronRuby binaries
  • put those in your /app or chiron’s /bin

It may be worth updating ProgramDlr.aspx with those additional tips ?

I have a related question: will it be (or is it currently ?) possible to
do
step-by-step debugging with any of the free products (Visual Studio C#
express 2008, VS 2008 shell version, any other ?).

cheers

Thibaut Barrère

Thanks Thibaut!

Yes, I can poke the silverlight.net guys to update ProgramDlr.aspx,
again. =P

~js

[[email protected]] On Behalf Of Thibaut Barrère
[[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:49 AM
To: [email protected]
hint ?

In case it’s useful to someone else - I gathered those tips here:

I believe it’s pretty much what’s here :
http://silverlight.net/Quickstarts/ProgramDlr.aspx except for:

  • debug=true
  • grab the latest IronRuby binaries
  • put those in your /app or chiron’s /bin

It may be worth updating ProgramDlr.aspx with those additional tips ?

I have a related question: will it be (or is it currently ?) possible to
do step-by-step debugging with any of the free products (Visual Studio
C# express 2008, VS 2008 shell version, any other ?).

cheers

Thibaut Barrère

LoGeek
[blog] http://evolvingworker.com - tools for a better day