Can some please check the new `--css` flag for rails new (Rails 7)

Can someone take a look at this:

in particular, I suspect that DHH has some cached yanked gems on his machine that is causing new apps to build OK for him using the --css flag and --javascript flags. Either that or I have cached yanked gems, but the results are consistent so it must be something we haven’t thought of.

Some additional brain-power on this would be appreciated as I do believe there is something very funky going on and I’m concerned this might trip up other people starting new projects on Rails 7.

I am unable to get Stimulus working for new apps working at all using these flags (stimulus does not initialize no matter what I do)… No matter what I’ve tried, new apps won’t initialize stimulus for as long as I use either of these flags (–css or --javacscript)

Can someone else go through the steps described in the issue above and let us know what you get? In particular, assuming you cannot replicate the issue, I need to see the Gemfile.lock file created by the rails new command to confirm if we are starting out on the new app.

thank you Ruby Forum!

Jason

RESOLITION & NOTICE:

The problem here is that I was running my Rails server with rails s, which won’t install webpack as a node module.

You are now encouraged to use the new development command, which takes care of both (although requires a reload of the web browser to kick in webpack:

bin/dev rails

If using rails server (rails s), you must run npx webpack first or else your webpack won’t be installed.

Remember, this affects only apps built using the new --css and --javascript flags.

there are likely no yanked cached gems on DHH’s machine I just didn’t know what else to think of next!
Jason

Here’s an explanation about using the new Rails 7 ./bin/dev rails command
https://jasonfleetwoodboldt.com/courses/stepping-up-rails/rails-7-new-app-with-js-bundling-css-bundling/