Can not connect USRP2 with UHD drivers

hello,

I can’t connect to the USRP2 using the latest version of the UHD
driver from the git repository. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and I have
followed the instruction at Can't connect to USRP2 using UHD driver - GNU Radio - Ruby-Forum but
still when I connect usrp2 to computer and check the output

uhd_find_devices

linux; GNU C++ version 4.4.3; Boost_104000; UHD_003.000.001-e2cd276

No UHD Devices Found

can anyone help me with this.

Thanks,
Abhijeet.

On 04/06/2011 08:01 PM, Abhijeet Mate wrote:

Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
[email protected]
Discuss-gnuradio Info Page
Have you programmed the FPGA/Firmware on the USRP2 with appropriate UHD
firmware?

what happens if you:

uhd_usrp_probe --args=“addr=192.168.10.2”

When you plug the USRP2 into your 1GiGE ethernet port on your computer,
does the Green LED on the ethernet port light up? Does the
yellow/orange LED on the same port flash occasionally?

Hi,

Below is the procedure i followed to build UHD driver and gnuradio.
There was no error during configure and build. After configure, i see
gr-uhd, grc to be installed. After installation when i type “sudo grc”,
get this "sudo: grc: command not found ". Please advise.

//#############################

mkdir ~/gnuradio-uhd
cd ~/gnuradio-uhd
git clone GitHub - EttusResearch/UHD-Mirror: This is a special mirror of UHD, intended for use by The Mathworks and its customers.
git clone gnuradio.git - GNU Radio

cd ~/gnuradio-uhd/UHD-Mirror/host/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake …/
make
make test
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

cd ~/gnuradio-uhd/gnuradio
./bootstrap

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=~/gnuradio-uhd/UHD-Mirror/host/build/
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
./configure --enable-gr-uhd

make
make check
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

//##############################

If i type uhd_find devices, also face problem. My problem is firmware is
not compatible with latest UHD version?? Later i will try to build the
firmware again and see how things go. This is what i get:

pnmyint@pnmyint-desktop:~$ uhd_find_devices --args addr=192.168.10.2
linux; GNU C++ version 4.4.3; Boost_104000; UHD_003.000.001-e2cd276

Warning:
Ignoring discovered device
RuntimeError: Expected protocol compatibility number 9, but got 7:
The firmware build is not compatible with the host code build.
No UHD Devices Found

Hi Ron,

Thank you very much for your help. when i try to do ethtool eth0
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
Link detected: yes
this is the output i get i have
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast
Ethernet
controller (rev 02)
Ethernet driver.
how can i change it to gigabit. i tried it with
sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg on
but it is not working.

Thanks,
Abhijeet.

Did you see this? Take a look at the firewall and ping notes:
http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/usrp2.html#communication-problems

-Josh

Ab:

Your driver setup may be a factor. The ‘lsmod’ command will list what
drivers are loaded. Be sure the Ethernet driver you have is Gig
capable. For my system it is an e1000e for Intel. Reloading the driver
may help “clean up” the connection. Run modprobe -r driver name followed
by modprobe driver name. Also, ensure that the Ethernet connection is
configured for Gig. The command ethtool eth0 (provide correct designator
for you system) should list the current configuration for you system.
Finally, be sure that the ifconfig for the eth0 (provide correct
designator for you system) is set up to communicate on the
192.168.10.255 network…192.168.10.1 is recommended as the host ip
address. If this is all sound, consider running Wireshark to monitor the
connection activity between the host and USRP. You may see an ARP when
the USRP comes on line and you should see the communication between the
host and the USRP. Then there is always the host and USRP reboot.

Walking through these steps has helped re-establish connectivity for my
system when No UHD devices found or Discovered device ignored is
returned by the uhd_find_devices utility.

Ron H

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:01:45 -0400
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] can not connect USRP2 with UHD drivers

On 04/11/2011 08:34 PM, Abhijeet Mate wrote:

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Thanks,
Abhijeet.

The RTL8101E chipset doesn’t support Gigabit Ethernet. No amount of
asking it nicely using
ethtool can change that.