I want to survey the Ruby interpreter usage.
If you have
- a real application on Ruby 1.9 trunk
if that application has a performance issue, it is welcome.
- the build environment
please cooperate me to survey the CFUNC usage.
(1) Check out ruby trunk
$ svn co http://svn.ruby-lang.org/repos/trunk
(2) Apply a patch which is attached to this mail
(3) Build ruby interpter and install it
(4) Run application on the interpreter
Ruby prints the results into STDERR at the end of ruby process.
$ ruby [application] 2> result
(5) Send me the result with
- your environment (ruby -v)
- brief description of your application.
Download-able URL instead of attaching the result is preferable because the result will be a huge text file.
(6) Do not forget to remove (or invalidate) installed Ruby
The results show the usage of CFUNC. CFUNC is methods implemented in C.
[shallow count] means the number of invoking the method named
[method_name] without invoking the other methods (and blocks, and so
on). [deep count] is the number of invoking which invoke other methods.
result sample (sorted by Excel):
application: rdoc (build process)
environment: ruby 1.9.3dev (2010-10-14) [i686-linux]
To tune the VM. I can find out which CFUNC method / what kind of
methods should be faster.
Thank you for.