Call a controller method from a view

Hi,
I am trying to call a controller method from my view, but I get an error
and I don’t know how to correct it.
What i am trying to do:
I am in the edit form of the model Product, and products can have many
ingredients. So on my edit form there is a text_field where you type the
ingredient with a link “Add” which is supposed to add the typed
ingredient to the current ingredients list.

this is how i try to call my controller method:
<%=link_to “Add”,:action => :add_ingredient,:id => @product %>

This is my method in the controller:
def add_ingredient
if @product.id.blank?
@product = Product.find(params[:id])
end
@product.ingredients <<
Ingredient.find_or_create_by_name(params[:search])
@product.update_attributes(params[:product])
end

The error:
Unknown action
No action responded to 30. Actions: add_ingredient, create, destroy,
edit, index, new, show, and update

the url:
http://localhost:3000/products/30/add_ingredient

Thanks
Greg

On Mar 10, 7:26 pm, Greg Ma [email protected] wrote:

this is how i try to call my controller method:
<%=link_to “Add”,:action => :add_ingredient,:id => @product %>

Try this <%=link_to “Add”,:action => “add_ingredient”,:id => @product
%>

Note that the action name is a string.

Hope this helps

On Mar 11, 12:26 am, Greg Ma [email protected] wrote:

<%=link_to “Add”,:action => :add_ingredient,:id => @product %>

The error:
Unknown action
No action responded to 30. Actions: add_ingredient, create, destroy,
edit, index, new, show, and update

the url:http://localhost:3000/products/30/add_ingredient

assuming that you’re using map.resources then you need to add
add_ingredient as a member action (or you might decide that it is
preferable to have ingredients as a nested resource of products)
Either way you should really have a GET request that changes the state
of the database

Fred

Hi,
Thanks it works better now. But how am i supposed to access my textfield
if I am using a get method in my controller?

Route:
map.resources :products,
:member => {:add_ingredient => :post }

Controller:
<%= text_field_with_auto_complete :product, :ingredient_name,{},
{:url => formatted_ingredients_path(:js), :method => :get, :with =>
“‘search=’ + element.value”} %>
<%=link_to “Add”,:action => “add_ingredient”,:id => @product%>

Frederick C. wrote:

On Mar 11, 12:26�am, Greg Ma [email protected] wrote:

<%=link_to “Add”,:action => :add_ingredient,:id => @product %>

The error:
Unknown action
No action responded to 30. Actions: add_ingredient, create, destroy,
edit, index, new, show, and update

the url:http://localhost:3000/products/30/add_ingredient

assuming that you’re using map.resources then you need to add
add_ingredient as a member action (or you might decide that it is
preferable to have ingredients as a nested resource of products)
Either way you should really have a GET request that changes the state
of the database

Fred

Greg,

Since its a post request, you should have a form in your view, which
when submitted, will ensure that all the text fields etc. are available
in your controller.

Punit

Greg Ma wrote:

Hi,
Thanks it works better now. But how am i supposed to access my textfield
if I am using a get method in my controller?

Route:
map.resources :products,
:member => {:add_ingredient => :post }

Controller:
<%= text_field_with_auto_complete :product, :ingredient_name,{},
{:url => formatted_ingredients_path(:js), :method => :get, :with =>
“‘search=’ + element.value”} %>
<%=link_to “Add”,:action => “add_ingredient”,:id => @product%>

Frederick C. wrote:

On Mar 11, 12:26�am, Greg Ma [email protected] wrote:

<%=link_to “Add”,:action => :add_ingredient,:id => @product %>

The error:
Unknown action
No action responded to 30. Actions: add_ingredient, create, destroy,
edit, index, new, show, and update

the url:http://localhost:3000/products/30/add_ingredient

assuming that you’re using map.resources then you need to add
add_ingredient as a member action (or you might decide that it is
preferable to have ingredients as a nested resource of products)
Either way you should really have a GET request that changes the state
of the database

Fred

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs