C Extensions not working on Windows XP 64


#1

I can not for the life of me get even the simplest C extension example
to load into ruby on Windows XP. The first case I tried actually was
the example provided by SWIG (the simple example). It fails with the
message
runme.rb:3:in `require’: 127: The specified procedure could not be
found. - In
it_Example (LoadError)
./Example.dll
from runme.rb:3

The example was compiled with the provided MS-VC++ 6 project without
error. A dumpbin of example.dll reveals that the symbol Init_Example is
in fact exported. The same error is reported in both ruby 1.6.8 and
ruby 1.8.2. This is supposed to work in theory since it’s
‘automatically’ generated by SWIG

I then tried to generate my own example based on some tutorials.
//--------------------simple.c------------------------------------------------
#include “ruby.h”

static VALUE simple_initialize(VALUE self, int iValue)
{
rb_iv_set(self,"@i",iValue);
rb_iv_set(self,"@a",rb_ary_new());
return self;

}

static VALUE simple_get_i(VALUE self)
{
return rb_iv_get(self,"@i");

}

static VALUE simple_set_i(VALUE self, int iValue)
{
return rb_iv_set(self,"@i",iValue);

}

static VALUE simple_get_a(VALUE self)
{
return rb_iv_get(self,"@a");

}

VALUE csimple;

void Init_simple()
{

csimple = rb_define_class(“simple”,rb_cObject);
rb_define_method(csimple,“initialize”,simple_initialize,1);

rb_define_method(csimple,“i”, simple_get_i, 0);
rb_define_method(csimple,“i=”, simple_set_i, 1);
rb_define_method(csimple,“a”, simple_get_a, 0);

}

//---------------------------------------------------------------------

#----- simple.rb ------------
require “simple”

s = simple.new(123)

p s.i
p s.a

s.i = 456
s.a.push(“Hello”)
s.a.push(“World”)

p s.a
#-----------------------------

The compile procedure from MS-VC++ 6
cl /LD /I$(RUBY_INCLUDE) /O2 simple.c $(RUBY_LIBPATH)$(RUBY_LIB) /link
/def:simple.def

which compiles without error or warning. dumpbin reveals that
Dump of file simple.dll

File Type: DLL

Section contains the following exports for simple.dll

       0 characteristics
43FE269D time date stamp Thu Feb 23 16:18:21 2006
    0.00 version
       1 ordinal base
       1 number of functions
       1 number of names

ordinal hint RVA      name

      1    0 00001000 Init_simple

Summary

    4000 .data
    1000 .rdata
    1000 .reloc
    5000 .text

However running
D:\ruby>ruby simple.rb
./simple.rb:4: undefined local variable or method simple' for #<Object:0x5b6961 8> (NameError) from simple.rb:2:inrequire’
from simple.rb:2

This is the result from running ruby 1.6.8
I might go back and try 1.8.2 again later, but for now I’ll use python.
At least SWIG seems to work with it on windows.


#2

On Feb 23, 2006, at 10:22 PM, Matt wrote:

./simple.rb:4: undefined local variable or method simple' for #<Object:0x5b6961 8> (NameError) from simple.rb:2:inrequire’
from simple.rb:2

Classes must be constant. Try naming your class ``Simple’’.
^

– Daniel


#3

On Feb 23, 2006, at 10:31 PM, Daniel H. wrote:

Classes must be constant

That should be ``Class names’’. Sorry for the spam.

– Daniel


#4

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Matt wrote:

I then tried to generate my own example based on some tutorials.

Ack! I see some integers being directly stored into a Ruby VALUE.
Remember to cast them properly using INT2NUM() or, if you’re feeling
dangerous, INT2FIX().

static VALUE simple_initialize(VALUE self, int iValue)
{
rb_iv_set(self,"@i",iValue);

rb_iv_set(self,"@i",INT2NUM(iValue));

static VALUE simple_set_i(VALUE self, int iValue)
{
return rb_iv_set(self,"@i",iValue);

return rb_iv_set(self,"@i",INT2NUM(iValue));
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFEAoaZmV9O7RYnKMcRAqwGAJ9uJueRap0sIm9OXXZBIzsiyNgiXwCfbK8q
V9XrCvKOfONVlVEYJxI1Lk0=
=RuMj
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----