Bug #496 (DRb slow)

Since I don’t have access to Ruby-core, I’ll just post a couple
observations here in the hope of giving someone a head start with this
problem.

I have experienced the same problem as the original poster (Hongli L.)
i.e. a 5 second lag at start up using DRb.start_service() on Ubuntu 7 &
8 so I did a simple test this afternoon.

require ‘drb’
require ‘benchmark’

puts Benchmark.measure { DRb.start_service() }

This consistently yielded this sort of result iteration after iteration:

0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 ( 5.020901)

This implies that the delay (5 seconds in my case) is occurring outside
of Benchmark’s scope i.e. in an external service.

On a hunch, I turned off the Multicast DNS service discovery (AKA
avahi-daemon)
and re-ran the simple Benchmark.

The results are now consistently like so:

0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 ( 0.170901)

Apparently, avahi-daemon is somehow involved in the delay and review of
it’s
configuration show what seem to be stub files.

Upon further investigation, the Ubuntu systems that I have that were
configured with Ubuntu-server (rather than Ubuntu-client) did not have
avahi-daemon installed and/or running and these did not experience any
start-up delay.

Briefly, DRb.start_service() and ubuntu-client systems with the
avahi-daemon appear to interact poorly. I suspect the default
configuration of the avahi-daemon but don’t had the time (presently) to
investigate further.

Regards all…

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs