Buffer error while executing gem

Hello,

when running on Windows XP gem.exe which comes with Ruby 1.8.5, I get
the following error:

H:>C:\ruby185\bin\gem install net-ssh
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Install required dependency needle? [Yn]
ERROR: While executing gem … (Zlib::BufError)
buffer error

What could be the reason? Here is my gem environment:

H:>C:\ruby185\bin\gem environment
RubyGems Environment:

  • VERSION: 0.9.2 (0.9.2)
  • INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/ruby185/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • GEM PATH:
    • C:/ruby185/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • REMOTE SOURCES:

Ronald

On 5/14/07, Ronald F. [email protected] wrote:

See previous thread named: ANN: RubyGems 0.9.3 Released

I tried to update gem from 0.9.2 to 0.9.3. My state of the system
before
the update was this:

H:>C:\ruby185\bin\gem environment
RubyGems Environment:

  • VERSION: 0.9.2 (0.9.2)
  • INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/ruby185/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • GEM PATH:
    • C:/ruby185/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  • REMOTE SOURCES:

Here is how I performed the update; please note the error message:

H:>gem update --system
Updating RubyGems…
Need to update 6 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org

complete
Attempting remote update of rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-0.9.3
Updating version of RubyGems to 0.9.3
Installing RubyGems 0.9.3
Error opening script file: setup.rb (Das System kann die angegebene
Datei nicht
finden)
RubyGems system software updated

After the update, there was no file ‘gem.bat’ in my ruby/bin directory -
only a shell script file named “gem”. Next, I tried to do a manual
install:
I downloaded the zip file for gem 0.9.3, unpacked, and executed in this
directory:

ruby setup.rb all

which resulted in:


install sha1.rb c:/ruby185/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/digest
install sha2.rb c:/ruby185/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/digest
<— lib/rubygems/digest
<— lib/rubygems
<— lib
hook H:/dl/lang/rubygems-0.9.3/./post-install.rb failed:
undefined method `file_name’ for #Gem::Specification:0x2e47648
Try ‘ruby setup.rb --help’ for detailed usage.

Now, despite the error, I do have a gem.bat in my bin directory,
and at first sight it seems to work as expected; but I still wonder
whether this error could cause problems in the future.

Ronald

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs