Broken gems uninitialized constant Gem::CommandManager (Nam

I am a ruby newbie. Somehow (I suspect with a gem update command) I have
broken
gems on my mac (running leopard).

Now if I use any gem command I get the same error

Macintosh:~ dtilley$ gem query --remote
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:18:in initialize': uninitialized constant Gem::CommandManager (NameError) from /usr/local/bin/gem:22:innew’
from /usr/local/bin/gem:22

  1. Has anybody seen this?
  2. Do I need to uninstall gems and reinstall it?

Thanks

Dave

On Jan 4, 4:37 pm, Dave T. [email protected] wrote:

from /usr/local/bin/gem:22

  1. Has anybody seen this?
  2. Do I need to uninstall gems and reinstall it?

Thanks

Dave

Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.

The proper syntax

gem query -n --remote

On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:37 PM, Dave T. wrote:

uninitialized constant Gem::CommandManager (NameError)
from /usr/local/bin/gem:22:in `new’
from /usr/local/bin/gem:22

  1. Has anybody seen this?
  2. Do I need to uninstall gems and reinstall it?

Looks like you’re using an older gem executable with a newer
RubyGems runtime.

Also, your paths don’t match. RubyGems would install gem into /usr/
bin when installing into /usr/lib/. Try /usr/bin/gem. If that works,
remove /usr/local/bin/gem. It must be a relic from an alternate
install.

Eric H. wrote:

On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:37 PM, Dave T. wrote:

uninitialized constant Gem::CommandManager (NameError)
from /usr/local/bin/gem:22:in `new’
from /usr/local/bin/gem:22

  1. Has anybody seen this?
  2. Do I need to uninstall gems and reinstall it?

Looks like you’re using an older gem executable with a newer
RubyGems runtime.

Also, your paths don’t match. RubyGems would install gem into /usr/
bin when installing into /usr/lib/. Try /usr/bin/gem. If that works,
remove /usr/local/bin/gem. It must be a relic from an alternate
install.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up reinstalling gems and now things
work.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs