British Pound character in error messages

some of my validation error messages contain a pound sign (the British
currency, not #)
however, this get’s shown as a question mark in the view. i can get
round it
by using the html reference (£) instead of the literal character,
but
it seems a little counter-intuitive to handle this in the model… isn’t
it
view related?

any suggestions? I’m developing on webrick

You should set the character encoding in the page and response
headers to, er, some charset that contains the pound sign (I always
set them to utf8, which simplifies matters), so that the browser is
sure to use the correct charset when decoding the page. Note that
your source files that contain non-ASCII characters need to be saved
using the same charset.

Tim

“Timothy B.”
[email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

You should set the character encoding in the page and response headers
to, er, some charset that contains the pound sign

@response.headers[‘Content-Type’] = ‘text/html; charset=iso-8859-1’

that did the trick. thank you.