Bitbake GNU radio for Zynq

Hi,

I’m a trying to compile GNU radio for Zynq using the example described
here:

https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Zynq

The instructions do have an out of date warning, and I’m just trying to
figure out what things to update. From another list posting, there are
instructions to checkout the dizzy branch instead of stable in the
following line:

$ git clone git://github.com/balister/oe-gnuradio-manifest.git -b stable

When I reach the bitbake step:
$ bitbake gnuradio-dev-image

It first fails due a missing meta-python layer. That’s easily solved by
modifying the bblayers.conf file to include meta-python. After that, I
get the following error:

ERROR: ParseError at
/home/jeff/Desktop/gnu/oe-repo/oe-core/…/meta-xilinx/recipes-core/meta/external-xilinx-toolchain.bb:1:
Could not include required file recipes-core/eglibc/eglibc-package.inc

I cannot find any eglibc-package.inc in the file system. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry, I’m a complete GNU radio
beginner!
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think is worth checking that you are using the same branch (dizzy) in
all
the beta layers that you have. Including openembedded, yocto,
meta-sdr…
The reason why you were missing meta-python could be that your
openembedded
layer is newer than the meta-sdr used to create the bblayers.conf file.
would suggest that you try checking out the branch that you want instead
of
the latest stable one.

Cheers,
Murray

On 05/04/2015 06:11 AM, Murray T. wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I think is worth checking that you are using the same branch (dizzy) in all
the beta layers that you have. Including openembedded, yocto, meta-sdr…
The reason why you were missing meta-python could be that your openembedded
layer is newer than the meta-sdr used to create the bblayers.conf file. I
would suggest that you try checking out the branch that you want instead of
the latest stable one.

Use:

$ git clone git://github.com/balister/oe-gnuradio-manifest.git -b dizzy

I need to update the manifest and delete “stable” :slight_smile:

Philip

Jeff,

It looks like eglibc was at some point before dizzy renamed to glibc.

daisy: poky/meta/recipes-core/eglibc/eglibc-package.inc
dizzy: poky/meta/recipes-core/glibc/glibc-package.inc

Recipes from dizzy shouldn’t depend on eglibc. The xilinx layer seems to
have change this
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-xilinx/2014-September/000751.html

If you are sure that all your layers are using dizzy and still asks for
eglibc, you may get better luck with another branch.
It would be interesting to see if you can build a minimal console image.
If
you can, take a look at the first part of the log printed in the
console,
it will tell you the branch that the layers are using.

Regards,
Murray

Hi Philip and Murray,

Thanks for your help. I mentioned that I was actually working off the
dizzy branch. I also went through all the branches available for the
meta-xilinx repo and could not find the file:

ERROR: ParseError at
/home/jeff/Desktop/gnu/oe-repo/oe-core/…/meta-xilinx/recipes-core/meta/external-xilinx-toolchain.bb:1:
Could not include required file recipes-core/eglibc/eglibc-package.inc

Also as a note I’m running on Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks again!
Jeff

On 05/04/2015 06:11 AM, Murray T. wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I think is worth checking that you are using the same branch (dizzy) in all
the beta layers that you have. Including openembedded, yocto, meta-sdr…
The reason why you were missing meta-python could be that your openembedded
layer is newer than the meta-sdr used to create the bblayers.conf file. I
would suggest that you try checking out the branch that you want instead of
the latest stable one.

Use:

$ git clone git://github.com/balister/oe-gnuradio-manifest.git -b dizzy

I need to update the manifest and delete “stable” :slight_smile:

Philip

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I can build the kernel and run it on a Zedboard
using the dizzy branch exclusively. The additional step of using the
zynq-gnuradio-manifest repo to try to include the FIR example is what
broke things. That repo manifest replaces the meta-xilinx layer with an
older one. My plan was to try out the zynq-fir-filter-example, but I
think I’ll just use it as a reference for now. Thanks!

On 05/05/2015 05:41 PM, Jeff Tu wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I can build the kernel and run it on a Zedboard using the
dizzy branch exclusively. The additional step of using the zynq-gnuradio-manifest
repo to try to include the FIR example is what broke things. That repo manifest
replaces the meta-xilinx layer with an older one. My plan was to try out the
zynq-fir-filter-example, but I think I’ll just use it as a reference for now.
Thanks!

I would be really nice to update the Zynq FIR ACP co-processor to work
with recent builds. Bonus point for integrating with Alfredo’s work on
using GNU Radio buffers without the copy (and without magical
allocators). [1]

Philip

[1] http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Keystone2