Best event listing extension?

I have a client that wants to list the conferences that they will be
attending on their website. Nothing fancy, just some of the details like
date, booth #, link to event, etc. What is the best extension to handle
that? I see that there are four event related extensions on github:

radiant-event-calendar
radiant-event-calendar-extension
radiant-page-event
ba (probably way overkill for this)

Also, I want to give props to everyone involved with keeping Radiant
alive: Sean, et. al.; all the extension creators/maintainers, and Mohit
for the updated docs. Without you all, I wouldn’t be able to do what I
do. Thanks.

~Nate

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 17:34 -0600, Marty H. wrote:

As the creator for radiant-page-event, I’m a bit biased but what I
created with that extension could easily do what you want making some
assumptions. Each page would be a conference, you want to manually
control your own calendar via the admin UI and you don’t need to
indicate a multiple day event. You could then add page parts for each
detail on your event such as booth # and external event link. There
are two newer convenience tags that I’ve recently added, next_event
and upcoming_events. I when I get more free time I’ll be adding some
additional features but the extension is designed to be fairly
lightweight for assigning dates to pages.

It looks great but, I do need to list multi-day events. Everything else
looks like it will work. I’ll look into this one again if the others
don’t do multi-day events. Thanks.

How is the Colorado Ruby scene? The wife and I are considering a move to
CO or the Pacific Northwest in the next couple of years. A quick search
didn’t turn up much in the way of web development in CO. Are there many
places working with Ruby?

Thanks,

Nate

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM, [email protected]
[email protected] wrote:

I have a client that wants to list the conferences that they will be
attending on their website. Nothing fancy, just some of the details like
date, booth #, link to event, etc. What is the best extension to handle
that? I see that there are four event related extensions on github:

radiant-event-calendar
radiant-event-calendar-extension
radiant-page-event
ba (probably way overkill for this)

Hi Nate,

As the creator for radiant-page-event, I’m a bit biased but what I
created with that extension could easily do what you want making some
assumptions. Each page would be a conference, you want to manually
control your own calendar via the admin UI and you don’t need to
indicate a multiple day event. You could then add page parts for each
detail on your event such as booth # and external event link. There
are two newer convenience tags that I’ve recently added, next_event
and upcoming_events. I when I get more free time I’ll be adding some
additional features but the extension is designed to be fairly
lightweight for assigning dates to pages.

The readme should include useful information for getting started. I
also posted a brief tutorial on my blog that may be a bit outdated:

http://martyhaught.com/articles/2008/05/03/page-event-extension-released/

Cheers,
Marty

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Marty H. [email protected]
wrote:

It looks great but, I do need to list multi-day events. Everything else
looks like it will work. I’ll look into this one again if the others
don’t do multi-day events. Thanks.

Multi-day and reoccurring events are both in the future plans and
depending on how much time I get after my other work may be available
sooner than later.

I extended Marty’s extension to handle multi-day events:

http://github.com/MrGossett/radiant-page-event/tree/master

Marty didn’t like the fact that I didn’t ask him before do that work, so
he
denied my pull request. Oh well.

It looks great but, I do need to list multi-day events. Everything else
looks like it will work. I’ll look into this one again if the others
don’t do multi-day events. Thanks.

Multi-day and reoccurring events are both in the future plans and
depending on how much time I get after my other work may be available
sooner than later. But if you need it right now you’ll either need to
help add that in or look for something else. Email me offlist if you
want to coordinate efforts.

Cheers,
Marty

I extended Marty’s extension to handle multi-day events:

http://github.com/MrGossett/radiant-page-event/tree/master

Marty didn’t like the fact that I didn’t ask him before do that work, so he
denied my pull request. Oh well.

Tim’s mods will give you multi-day support however Tim’s design goes
in the opposite direction of how I’ll be handling it. I was not
interested in going down that path and having to migrate existing
events to the new design. If you don’t mind having to migrate the
data yourself (assuming Tim’s fork is still up-to-date with mine) that
might be the best stop-gap measure. Tim, if you had asked first I
would have told you all this before you did the work.

Cheers,
Marty

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 22:27 -0600, Marty H. wrote:

It looks great but, I do need to list multi-day events. Everything else
looks like it will work. I’ll look into this one again if the others
don’t do multi-day events. Thanks.

Multi-day and reoccurring events are both in the future plans and
depending on how much time I get after my other work may be available
sooner than later. But if you need it right now you’ll either need to
help add that in or look for something else. Email me offlist if you
want to coordinate efforts.

I think your radiant-page-event extension is the best way to go. It’s
the only one that actually has a page associated with an event. The
other two extensions tie into ical calendars, but yours allows for the
creation of an event in the Radiant Admin. That is by far a bigger need
for me. While I am not sure I can give you any real help with modifying
the extension, I will certainly try and I’ll be watching it for updates
in the future.

Thanks,

Nate

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:03 +0200, Arik J. wrote:

There really is no reason to be a prude about it though. It’s open
source and we should expect no less. I say instead of complaining,
re-factor the code and release it. That’d seem easier than trying to
micro-manage each pull request.

Easy gents, we’re all on the same side here. There is no reason why
Marty shouldn’t be able to manage the extension he built. There’s also
no reason to hate on Tim for forking it. That’s the great thing about
open source, we build on the successes of others.

I’ll probably be using Tim’s version of the extension (no offense Marty)
because it has some added functionality that I need. When Marty finds
the time to modify the original extension (time is always in short
supply) I’ll probably switch back to his version. I didn’t mean to stir
up any ill will that may, or may not, exist between Marty or Tim. Both
of you guys rock.

~Nate

Marty H. wrote:

I extended Marty’s extension to handle multi-day events:

http://github.com/MrGossett/radiant-page-event/tree/master

Marty didn’t like the fact that I didn’t ask him before do that work, so he
denied my pull request. Oh well.

Tim’s mods will give you multi-day support however Tim’s design goes
in the opposite direction of how I’ll be handling it. I was not
interested in going down that path and having to migrate existing
events to the new design. If you don’t mind having to migrate the
data yourself (assuming Tim’s fork is still up-to-date with mine) that
might be the best stop-gap measure. Tim, if you had asked first I
would have told you all this before you did the work.

Cheers,
Marty

There really is no reason to be a prude about it though. It’s open
source and we should expect no less. I say instead of complaining,
re-factor the code and release it. That’d seem easier than trying to
micro-manage each pull request.

[email protected] wrote:

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:03 +0200, Arik J. wrote:

There really is no reason to be a prude about it though. It’s open
source and we should expect no less. I say instead of complaining,
re-factor the code and release it. That’d seem easier than trying to
micro-manage each pull request.

Easy gents, we’re all on the same side here. There is no reason why
Marty shouldn’t be able to manage the extension he built. There’s also
no reason to hate on Tim for forking it. That’s the great thing about
open source, we build on the successes of others.

I’ll probably be using Tim’s version of the extension (no offense Marty)
because it has some added functionality that I need. When Marty finds
the time to modify the original extension (time is always in short
supply) I’ll probably switch back to his version. I didn’t mean to stir
up any ill will that may, or may not, exist between Marty or Tim. Both
of you guys rock.

~Nate

I’m not saying to not manage your extension’s development. But in Git
the culture of open source collaboration is mildly different. But then
again, I see your point. I can’t wait to see what page_event becomes
though. Could easily be a core extension once it reaches maturity!

For reference, just as before the switch, not every pull request is
accepted to the Radiant core. However, the overarching difference
seems to me that anyone can take their own fork and run with it,
without needing ‘permission’.

Sean

I’m not saying to not manage your extension’s development. But in Git
the culture of open source collaboration is mildly different. But then
again, I see your point. I can’t wait to see what page_event becomes
though. Could easily be a core extension once it reaches maturity!

I’m not offended in the least by all of this. I decided not to accept
Tim’s pull request as it would make more work for me and would be
incompatible with how I want to develop my extension. I have zero
issue with his forking my extension and anyone can do the same.
However, to suggest that you should automatically except a pull
request is a bit much. I’ve no doubt that those that need multi-day
support should go with his fork as it may be a while before I get to
it.

Cheers,
Marty

Sean C. wrote:

For reference, just as before the switch, not every pull request is
accepted to the Radiant core. However, the overarching difference
seems to me that anyone can take their own fork and run with it,
without needing ‘permission’.

Sean

Exactly.

Sorry, folks. I didn’t mean to start a debate about the various cultures
of
open source collaboration. And I certainly didn’t mean to spur any ill
will
toward Marty. All this because I said that “Marty didn’t like the fact
that
I didn’t ask him before do that work, so he denied my pull request. Oh
well.”

It was a (maybe inappropriate) reaction to what Marty said in response
to my
pull request: “…I would recommend you ask me about making changes such
as
these in the future before sending a pull request.”

Instead of just an event datetime, I rewrote the migration to add
event_datetime_start and event_datetime_end datetimes (and updated the
views
and tags accordingly, and added validation on the event model). And I
added
a duration tag that renders the date and time for the start and end
datetimes. The pull request was a FWIW gesture, and I wasn’t really
expecting that Marty automatically accept.

So, I’m sorry Marty. Let’s all get back to making frickin’ awesome
websites
with Radiant.

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Tim G. [email protected] wrote:

Instead of just an event datetime, I rewrote the migration to add
event_datetime_start and event_datetime_end datetimes (and updated the views
and tags accordingly, and added validation on the event model). And I added
a duration tag that renders the date and time for the start and end
datetimes. The pull request was a FWIW gesture, and I wasn’t really
expecting that Marty automatically accept.

So, I’m sorry Marty. Let’s all get back to making frickin’ awesome websites
with Radiant.

No worries. It’s all cool in my book. I’m just too busy with a lot
of other things to really give my extension the time it deserves right
now. Glad to see there is interest in it. I’m sure in the near
future I’ll get some more time and I’ll roll out some new features
that I have half-baked in my local branch.

Cheers,
Marty

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs