Automatic finder

It looks rails automatically creates a “finder” method on models that
have a “belongs_to”. So I tried this in the console:

c = Category.find(2)
chunks = Chunk.find_by_category(c)

chunks is always returned as an empty array. When I know have some
chunks with a category_id of 2.

Should the find_by_category do what I think it should be doing or am I
completely off base?

thanks, cott.

What’s an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lor more that it’s ever
done in a PC.

My Digital Life - http://scottwalter.com/blog
Pro:Blog - http://scottwalter.com/problog

First of all the find_by_xxx methods just return 1 record. I think the
find_all_by_xxx is what you need.

Does this work?
chunks = Chunk.find_all_by_category_id(2)

I’m not entirely sure the dynamic finders work with associations, but
since “category_id” is a direct property of the model it shouldn’t have
a problem with it. Might make a nice patch though.

-Alex

yes that worked perfectly! thanks.

What’s an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lor more that it’s ever
done in a PC.

My Digital Life - http://scottwalter.com/blog
Pro:Blog - http://scottwalter.com/problog

   First of all the find_by_xxx methods just return 1 record.  I

think the find_all_by_xxx is what you need.

Does this work?
chunks = Chunk.find_all_by_category_id(2)

I’m not entirely sure the dynamic finders work with associations, but
since “category_id” is a direct property of the model it shouldn’t have
a problem with it. Might make a nice patch though.

-Alex

Scott W. wrote: It looks rails