Aptana IDE


#1

Hello all,
I’ve heard some folks suggest that I should try out the Aptana IDE
(formerly RadRails). I’ve tried it on my development machine, but the
goofy thing just bails out and terminates. Is anyone successfully using
it on Linux? If so, what’s your opinion of it? Right now I’m using a
terminal and gedit, so I’m wondering if it will improve my coding speed
at all.
Also, if anyone has figured out the sudden termination issue, I’d be
really interested to hear how you fixed it.


Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket:
mail, news, photos & more.


#2

I’m using it successfully on Ubuntu 6.1 and I encourage you to resolve
your startup problem and try it.
Perhaps if you post your linux type and the steps you took to install
Aptana, someone will be able to help.

Regards,
Dave


Information and Educational Technology
Kwantlen University College - 604-599-2120


#3

there should be a hidden log file in your workspace directory. .meta
something, i believe, but can’t remember, try starting there.

hope that helps.


#4

i use it on windows, ubuntu fiesty and mac osx. i know some guys that
are pretty wicked with vim, but i prefer an ide.

never had any issues with it terminating… check the .log in
{workspace}/.metadata/.log

i’m also using the standalone version, not the plugin version for
eclipse proper.


#5

Aptana IDE requires JDK 6 to run. You can download Aptana IDE bundled
with JDK 6, or you can download JDK 6 from java.sun.com, and make your
JAVA_HOME points to JDK 6 installation.

Aptana IDE has some nice features to write Rails and Ruby code.
However, I am longing for some IDE with auto-complete feature.

Komodo IDE has some auto-complete, but not very helpful. And you must
pay for Komodo.

So, I guess Aptana IDE is still one of the best choices. If you are
running Linux with KDE, there is KDeveloper Ruby too.


#6

Ubuntu Fiesty is what I’m using. I just downloaded the latest, unzipped
it and tried to run it. I’m thinking it may be breaking because it can’t
find one of the libraries it needs.

David D. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
I’m using it successfully on Ubuntu 6.1 and I encourage you to resolve
your startup problem and try it.
Perhaps if you post your linux type and the steps you took to install
Aptana, someone will be able to help.

Regards,
Dave


Information and Educational Technology
Kwantlen University College - 604-599-2120

removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote on 20-06-2007 01:43:40 PM:

Hello all,
I’ve heard some folks suggest that I should try out the Aptana IDE
(formerly RadRails). I’ve tried it on my development machine, but
the goofy thing just bails out and terminates. Is anyone
successfully using it on Linux? If so, what’s your opinion of it?
Right now I’m using a terminal and gedit, so I’m wondering if it
will improve my coding speed at all.
Also, if anyone has figured out the sudden termination issue, I’d be
really interested to hear how you fixed it.
Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket:
mail, news, photos & more.


Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web
links.


#7

“Ubuntu 6.1”

You mean Ubuntu 6.10? :slight_smile:

"Komodo IDE has some auto-complete, but not very helpful. And you must
pay for Komodo. "

Have you tried the latest netbeans 6 beta? It’s shaping up to be the
best ror editor around.


#8

Have you tried the latest netbeans 6 beta? It’s shaping up to be the best ror editor around.
…and the slowest, most bloated IMHO, not to mention it displays the
rails-convention dir structure (app/models, app/controllers etc) in
its own way… not very rails-y.


#9

I use it in Ubuntu Fiesty as well. I have been using it since Radrails
0.7 as eclipse plugins. Since the merger, I uninstalled Radrails, RDT
and did a fresh install of Radrails from the Aptana website. Works fine.
Followed the instructions on the Aptana web site.

Here are the versions I have.

  • Eclipse 3.2.2 3.2.2.v20070507_322 Patch 3
  • Aptana Ruby on Rails Support - 0.8.0.200705141538 (Includes RDT
    0.9.0.705141801NGT)
  • Subclipse 1.2.1

Will G. wrote:

Ubuntu Fiesty is what I’m using. I just downloaded the latest, unzipped
it and tried to run it. I’m thinking it may be breaking because it can’t
find one of the libraries it needs.

David D. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
I’m using it successfully on Ubuntu 6.1 and I encourage you to resolve
your startup problem and try it.
Perhaps if you post your linux type and the steps you took to install
Aptana, someone will be able to help.

Regards,
Dave


Information and Educational Technology
Kwantlen University College - 604-599-2120

removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote on 20-06-2007 01:43:40 PM:

Hello all,
I’ve heard some folks suggest that I should try out the Aptana IDE
(formerly RadRails). I’ve tried it on my development machine, but
the goofy thing just bails out and terminates. Is anyone
successfully using it on Linux? If so, what’s your opinion of it?
Right now I’m using a terminal and gedit, so I’m wondering if it
will improve my coding speed at all.
Also, if anyone has figured out the sudden termination issue, I’d be
really interested to hear how you fixed it.
Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket:
mail, news, photos & more.


Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web
links.


#10

Check your log file in the root folder of Aptana …
I am able to run it fine on OS X and Vista.

  • Nick

#11

Will G. ha scritto:


Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket:
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48253/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
mail, news, photos & more.

I’m using it (Aptana Build 0.2.8.15171) under Fedora Core 6 with java
version “1.6.0_01” and it works (but I develop in Java too and I’m
having great results with NetBeans 6.0 M9 Ide running JRuby…)

Hope this helps…


#12

On 21 Jun., 19:25, jemminger removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

…and the slowest, most bloated IMHO, not to mention it displays the rails-convention dir structure (app/models, app/controllers etc) in
its own way… not very rails-y.

ever tried this one? http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/ruby/

it’s just an ruby IDE based on netbeans. nothing bloated. and not
slow.
used Aptana/RadRails for a long time. but i think NetBeans Ruby IDE is
the best one at the moment.


#13

On 6/21/07, jemminger removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Have you tried the latest netbeans 6 beta? It’s shaping up to be the
best ror editor around.
…and the slowest, most bloated IMHO, not to mention it displays the
rails-convention dir structure (app/models, app/controllers etc) in
its own way… not very rails-y.

I agree - the project view should die. I took the liberty of including
your
mail in my bug report:
http://scripting.netbeans.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=108203

You can just click on the files pane right next to the project pane.

FYI, NetBeans people (tor and mkrauskopf) have been responding to bug
reports very quickly. It’s a good sign.

  • James M.

#14

On 6/21/07, jemminger removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Have you tried the latest netbeans 6 beta? It’s shaping up to be the
best ror editor around.
…and the slowest, most bloated IMHO, not to mention it displays the
rails-convention dir structure (app/models, app/controllers etc) in
its own way… not very rails-y.

You can toggle between the traditional folder hierarchy and the netbeans
project mode pretty easily. Just switch to file view.


#15

I actually like the project view. Not that I don’t want a file view
as well, but 90% of the time I really don’t need to see the ‘tmp’
dir, the coverage dir, the README file, the Rakefile, etc. I pretty
much need db, lib, public, test, and the subdirs of app. A view that
makes me look at the rest of the app dir on a regular basis is just
wasting space. I use TextMate, so I just handle this with a project
file that only references the bits I care about, which winds up
looking a lot like the project view.

-faisal