Anyone running v1.9.2 with Ubuntu 10.04?

I had LoadError problems when my box was running Ruby v1.8.? and v1.9.2.
Since I didn’t get an answer to a recent post about the issue, I decided
to uninstall both versions and attempt to get on v1.9.2. But there’s no
v1.9.2 package available yet for Ubuntu 10.04. So should I attempt to
build from source? I saw some posts about using RVM but the last thing
I want is another package managing layer.

On Sep 10, 7:02 pm, Sam W.er [email protected] wrote:

I had LoadError problems when my box was running Ruby v1.8.? and v1.9.2.
Since I didn’t get an answer to a recent post about the issue, I decided
to uninstall both versions and attempt to get on v1.9.2. But there’s no
v1.9.2 package available yet for Ubuntu 10.04. So should I attempt to
build from source? I saw some posts about using RVM but the last thing
I want is another package managing layer.

Wonder how you installed 1.9.2 and then uninstalled it when there is
no package manager for it on Ubuntu.

Remember that 1.9.2 removes the “.” directory form the $LOAD_PATH,
meaning a.rb and b.rb in the same directory, require ‘b’ inside a.rb
will fail to find it.

As for RVM, if you still want to use 1.9.2 and still keep your mental
sanity, should give it a shot, is just a manager for ruby and
RubyGems, not a full package manager.

For testing these things RVM is a strong solution.

I have had similar problems and open up two terms and rvm 1.8.x in one
and 1.9.x in the other and compare behavior. Stays away from your
system once your done you exit and the RVM is gone…

RVM is a version manager and keeps its files in a directory structure
and works out env/paths/gemlibs. I’m not sure your direct meaning
packamangament layer but take 30 minutes and look into RVM it can SAVE a
lot a time and fussin about with full install/uninstall on your main
system…

Read through the start pages I think it would be a nice tool for your
circumstance.

Take a look here… You might find this helpful :

http://www.christopherirish.com/2010/08/25/how-to-install-rvm-on-ubuntu-10-04/%20

http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/

Here are some followups
http://rubyonrails.dreamwidth.org/1713.html this to be helpful.

http://web2linux.com/installing-rails-3-on-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/

From: Sam W.er [email protected]
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:02:14 -0500
To: ruby-talk ML [email protected]
Subject: Anyone running v1.9.2 with Ubuntu 10.04?

I had LoadError problems when my box was running Ruby v1.8.? and v1.9.2.
Since I didn’t get an answer to a recent post about the issue, I decided
to uninstall both versions and attempt to get on v1.9.2. But there’s no
v1.9.2 package available yet for Ubuntu 10.04. So should I attempt to
build from source? I saw some posts about using RVM but the last thing
I want is another package managing layer.

I hacked together a 1.9.2 deb source package based on the 1.9.1. As
root,
you can build binary packages from a clean chroot as follows:

bash $ /usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-createbuildenv
bash $ cd /var/tmp && mkdir chroot
bash $ tar -C /var/tmp/chroot -xzvf /var/cache/pbuilder/base.tgz
bash $ mount -t mount devpts /dev/pts
bash $ mount proc -t proc chroot/proc
bash $ chroot /var/data/tmp/bin/bash
bash $ . /etc/lsb-release
bash $ locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
bash $ apt-get --allow-unauthenticated update
bash $ apt-get --allow-unauthenticated -q -y install debhelper
devscripts fakeroot
ruby curl fakeroot pbuilder git-core ssh wget
bash $ cd /var/tmp
bash $ git clone git://github.com/linterra/ruby1.9.2.git
bash $ cd rsp && /usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends
bash $ fakeroot debian/rules clean
bash $ dpkg-build -b
bash $ exit
bash $ umount chroot/dev/pts
bash $ umount chroot/proc
bash $ cd chroot/var/tmp/
bash $ dpkg -i libruby1.9.2_1.9.2.0-1_i386.deb
ruby1.9.2_1.9.2.0-1_i386.deb
libreadline-ruby1.9.2_1.9.2.0-1_i386.deb
irb1.9.2_1.9.2.0-1_all.deb … etc.

You need to have pbuilder already installed on your system.

sorry, step 13 should be cd ruby1.9.2:

  1. bash $ git clone git://github.com/linterra/ruby1.9.2.git
  2. bash $ cd ruby1.9.2 && /usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends

On 11.09.2010 01:54, Savard, Joseph wrote:

For testing these things RVM is a strong solution.

Just want to second that, I’m new to Ruby too and don’t regret every
trying rvm; some things even with the nice documentation weren’t clear
from the start (e.g. I never realized “rvm use …” doesn’t
permanently change the interpreter; you would need an extra parameter
for that) but I don’t want to go back.

  • Markus

On 09/11/2010 12:25 PM, Mike Owens wrote:

bash $ locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
bash $ umount chroot/dev/pts

I had LoadError problems when my box was running Ruby v1.8.? and v1.9.2.
Since I didn’t get an answer to a recent post about the issue, I decided
to uninstall both versions and attempt to get on v1.9.2. But there’s no
v1.9.2 package available yet for Ubuntu 10.04. So should I attempt to
build from source? I saw some posts about using RVM but the last thing
I want is another package managing layer.

If you just want to get a recent ruby running on one ubuntu host, the
easiest thing is to build from source. Of course, that doesn’t give you
debs you can copy to other hosts (thanks, Mike, for writing that up).
I’ve had no major issues with building ruby on various ubuntu hosts,
except a gcc version problem (does not affect the gcc on 10.04) and some
issues with tk and ruby 1.8 (does not affect 1.9.

If you want ruby 1.8.7 to work with the ubuntu-packaged Tk, make sure
you configure ruby with:

./configure --enable-pthread

Then do “make” as usual.

Then, before the ‘make install’ step, go into ext/tk and do

CONFIGURE_ARGS=’–with-tcl-include=/usr/include/tcl8.5
–with-tcllib=tcl8.5 --with-tklib=tk8.5’ ruby extconf.rb && make

Then go into the tkutil subdir and build it the same way (not sure the
args are needed here, but it seems ok).

Finally, you can make install.

But I guess you don’t need any of this for 1.9.2… just do a generic
build.

RVM turns out to be a very good answer to the question of how to get to
Ruby v1.9.2 on Ubuntu 10.04. I had some trouble on my desktop machine
(separate post) but the instructions on www.christopherirish.com (see
link below) work flawlessly on my laptop. Thanks very much to Joseph
Savard for the incredibly helpful links below.