Anyone know a way to create html comments with the names of the views?


#1

I work with a lot of designers. The question I get all the time is:
Where is the template that displays xyz? I was thinking it would be
nice if rails would print the name of each template it loads as an
html comment like so:

etc..

Not having to answer these questions all day would really make my day.
I poked around the rails code for a couple hours and don’t see an
obvious way. Does anyone have an idea on how to do this?

Thanks!


#2

On Apr 3, 2:06 pm, mixtli removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I work with a lot of designers. The question I get all the time is:
Where is the template that displays xyz? I was thinking it would be
nice if rails would print the name of each template it loads as an
html comment like so:

Seems like you can do this by overriding render_template in
template.rb. Seems like a fairly handy idea actually, when I have
worked with designers that’s definitely a question that has come up
often!

Fred


#3

NICE! It will be my next plugin! If nil? of course! :wink:

iPhonized!


#4

For now, I just slapped this in a file in lib and include it in
environment.rb:

module ActionView
class Template
def render_template(view, local_assigns = {})
“\n” + render(view,
local_assigns)
rescue Exception => e
raise e unless filename
if TemplateError === e
e.sub_template_of(self)
raise e
else
raise TemplateError.new(self, view.assigns, e)
end
end
end
end

Works in Rails 2.3 anyway. I’m sure there is a cleaner way, and it
should probably be made into an environment specific config option.
But I’m in a hurry right now.

Thanks for the pointer.


#5

On 3 Apr 2009, at 15:50, mixtli wrote:

For now, I just slapped this in a file in lib and include it in
environment.rb:

For what it’s worth i’ve pluginised this:
http://github.com/fcheung/tattler/tree/master

Fred


#6

Use “\n”
instead to get the full path from RAILS_ROOT. Useful if you’re
pulling in views from plugins/engines.


#7

Coming in late, but there’s also this…

http://github.com/gwynm/noisy_partials/tree/master


#8

My designer works it out from the URL and routes file

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/


#9

I’m using it and it’s cool, but it should probably check if any layout
statement is present on the controller: if layout is nil then I
probably don’t need/want any comment in the template :slight_smile:

(found this with the :tex view of instiki clone)

thanks 4 the plugin!

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Frederick C.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

For what it’s worth i’ve pluginised this: http://github.com/fcheung/tattler/tree/master


Emanuele T.
+1 (619) 549 3230
1985 Sherington Place, #E302
Newport Beach, CA 92663
http://mekdigital.com


#10

On Apr 8, 1:54 am, Emanuele T. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I’m using it and it’s cool, but it should probably check if any layout
statement is present on the controller: if layout is nil then I
probably don’t need/want any comment in the template :slight_smile:

More precisely if what it’s rendering isn’t html it probably shouldn’t
be putting html comments in!

Fred


#11

plug-in-ized and blogged! quick! :slight_smile:

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Frederick C.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote: