Anyone interested in implementing Etc module for Mono?

http://ironruby.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3543 blocks
using RubyGems on *nix. It should be fairly easy to implement Etc.rb as
pure Ruby code using the File functionality. The spec for Etc is at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/etc/rdoc/classes/Etc.html.
RubyGems just seems to need Etc.getpwuid.

Anyone interested in tackling this problem?

Shri

If no one has done this by the time I’m moved and have a machine again,
I’ll
be happy to do it.

Ryan R.

Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

Looks like Rubinius already has a Ruby impl. of Etc for FFI. It’s
licensed
with BSD. Is that problematic? If so, I’ll start from the specs.

Ryan R.

Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

Cool! Let us know if you have any questions.

If no one has done this by the time I’m moved and have a machine again,
I’ll be happy to do it.

Ryan R.

Email: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Shri B.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
http://ironruby.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3543 blocks
using RubyGems on *nix. It should be fairly easy to implement Etc.rb as
pure Ruby code using the File functionality. The spec for Etc is at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/etc/rdoc/classes/Etc.html.
RubyGems just seems to need Etc.getpwuid.

Anyone interested in tackling this problem?

Shri

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

I think we should be able to use it. I shall double-check and let you
know.

In the meantime, would it be possible to manually copy the file into the
lib folder try to run igem on *nix to see if there are other blocking
issues?

Email: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Ryan R.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
Looks like Rubinius already has a Ruby impl. of Etc for FFI. It’s
licensed with BSD. Is that problematic? If so, I’ll start from the
specs.

Ryan R.

Email: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Shri B.

From:
[...]

I can try it next week once I have my machine set up again. I’m unable
try it until then, unfortunately. Also, I noticed that JRuby is sharing
the
same implementation (or similar), but both are based on FFI, not
straight up
Ruby.

Has anyone started working on an IronRuby FFI impl? If not, would it be
better to start working on this and get Etc working with FFI?

Ryan R.

Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

I don’t think we have time to do FFI for our 1.0, but it would be useful
to have it implemented soon after ☺

JD

I can try it next week once I have my machine set up again. I’m unable
to try it until then, unfortunately. Also, I noticed that JRuby is
sharing the same implementation (or similar), but both are based on FFI,
not straight up Ruby.

Has anyone started working on an IronRuby FFI impl? If not, would it be
better to start working on this and get Etc working with FFI?

Ryan R.

Email: [email protected]mailto:[email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Shri B.

From:
[...]

It would actually be better not to use FFI whenever possible. Native
code interop is platform specific and thus would require us to maintain
multiple implementations. If there is a managed API in Mono that does
what we need we should use it.

Tomas

[...]

You can also look at the Mono.Native and Mono.Posix
It’s all in there already

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Tomas M. <

One of the native functions Etc.rb calls is getpwnam. The mono
equivalent seems to be
http://www.go-mono.com/docs/index.aspx?link=M%3AMono.Posix.Syscall.getusername(System.Int32)

[...]

Well, I’m still trying to get my environment set up and having little
luck.
Still getting used to Mac OS X and *nix development. Has anyone else
attempted the fix? Hopefully I’ll have this sorted soon and can get on
it.

Regards,

Ryan R.

Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I should have my env set up early next
week
and will give it a go.

Regards,

Ryan R.

Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
Blog: http://wizardsofsmart.net/
Twitter: @panesofglass
Website: http://panesofglass.org/

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Ivan Porto C. <