[ANN] ruby-ole-1.2.3 released!

The new version of ruby-ole has been released!

ruby-ole is a library for read/write access to OLE2 structured storage
files, such as those produced by Microsoft Office, eg *.doc, *.msg etc.
It provides a simple filesystem style api.

Details at http://code.google.com/p/ruby-ole/.

Changes:

  • MBAT write support re-implmented (for saving large OLE files).
  • Minor fixes and better test coverage.
  • Initial (read-only) property set support.
  • Optimizations from benchmarks and profiling, mostly for writes.

On Dec 28, 7:16 am, Charles L. [email protected] wrote:

  • MBAT write support re-implmented (for saving large OLE files).
  • Minor fixes and better test coverage.
  • Initial (read-only) property set support.
  • Optimizations from benchmarks and profiling, mostly for writes.

    Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.

can it open a excel file and save as csv.

Junkone wrote:

On Dec 28, 7:16�am, Charles L. [email protected] wrote:

  • MBAT write support re-implmented (for saving large OLE files).
  • Minor fixes and better test coverage.
  • Initial (read-only) property set support.
  • Optimizations from benchmarks and profiling, mostly for writes.

    Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.

can it open a excel file and save as csv.

No, its just an implementation of the underlying file format - just a
container like a zip file (though without compression). See the
parseexcel library for that purpose.

On Dec 29, 2:00Â am, Charles L. [email protected] wrote:

No, its just an implementation of the underlying file format - just a
container like a zip file (though without compression). See the
parseexcel library for that purpose.

Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.

If I understand your situation correctly: you do not have Microsoft
Excel and you want to use WIN32OLE to open the Excel file. No, you
cannot do that. WIN32OLE effectively turns Excel into a server. This
way you can control Excel and have it do what you want.

If you have OpenOffice.org suite then you can open the excel file (not
Excel 2007) and save the file as a csv file. A gem is currently being
worked by Nathan Hale that can interface with OpenOffice.org, this gem
works only on Windows since it use WIN32OLEs to communicate with
OpenOffice.org via UNO COM interface.

PS OpenOffice.org is free and can replace Microsoft Office for most
purposes. OpenOffice.org works on Windows, MacOS, and Linus/Unix.

Hope that helps.

On 12/28/07, Charles L. [email protected] wrote:

No, its just an implementation of the underlying file format - just a
container like a zip file (though without compression). See the
parseexcel library for that purpose.

Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

You could use this, however, to get the XBIFFx chunk (this is the
format for the junk in the spreadsheet) from the compound document
container. At the worst case, in the past the XBIFFx definitions etc
have been made available on MSDN, so you would just need to develop a
converter.

(the ‘x’ is the version of Excel that is ref’d. XBIFF4 = Excel 4.0,
XBIFF5 = Excel 5, and so on).

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs