I wanted to announce on this list that I have launched
is a web database built with Ruby on Rails.
The application lets the administrator users define the data structure
a web interface like in a normal database, with:
- enhanced datatypes like emaili, web URL, and a choice in list
- relations (one to many, one to one) between tables
Once the data structure has been defined, a web interface lets users
data in the sense that they can:
- enter new data
- update existing data
- delete obsolete records
- search the stored data
- link records of the different tables according the relation
enforcement of one to many or one to one relations.
Highlights of the applications are:
- ajax use to ease filtering of any list
- ajax use to link records: easily link to a new or existing record.
- search form built dynamically to display only fields available in the
- multi lingual: currently english and french are supported. It uses a
plugin to be released soon. The whole application is translated, and
structure will be translatable later on (table and field names will be
- data types are displayed accordingly: a web URL field will be
displayed as a
link, an email field will be displayed as a mailto link, a choice in
field will be displayed in a drop down list.
- data is password protected, but a public form can be made accessible.
embeddediable version of the form will soon be made available. This
used for collecting visitors data on a website, as this form can be
in a webpage with 2 lines of html.
- live ajax validation when applicable (eg, if an invalid email is
field is marked in red when the focus leaves this this field).
- drag and drop used to reorder fields of a table (order is used for
order in lists, and for filters drop downs, so the first field becomes
default filter criteria for lists).
- integrated help (can be switched off)
- multi user
Much much more features are coming, and this announcement is only the
the application. Future developments will be prioritised according to
requests. Possible features (non exhaustive list):
- make databases public for reading, so you can share your data
- add field types like file attachments, pictures, etc
- enhance data validation
- develop search functionalities
- add advanced reporting
- publish APIs
- add database functions (MAX, MIN, AVERAGE, …)
A demo account and several screencasts are available, check on
Hoping you’ll enjoy the application. Let me know what you think!