Allow_blank in older version of Rails

Hi,

Our hosting company is using RoR 1.2.3. This version does not seem to
support the “allow_blank => true” validation rule. I have two
questions …

  1. Is it possible to combine other validation rules to simulate
    “allow_blank”?

  2. If #1 is not possible, is it possible to write a plugin that would
    allow me to use the “allow_blank” directive?

Thanks, - Dave

Thanks, but that didn’t seem to work. When I left my “fax” field
blank, I got an error message returned from validation “Fax cannot be
blank”. Here’s my validation rule:

validates_presence_of :fax, :if => proc { |m| !m.blank? }

What I would like is for the field to be allowed to be empty or nil,
but because of RoR 1.2.3 I can’t use allow_blank. - Dave

[email protected] wrote:

Our hosting company is using RoR 1.2.3. This version does not seem to
support the “allow_blank => true” validation rule. I have two
questions …

  1. Is it possible to combine other validation rules to simulate
    “allow_blank”?

Add option
:if => proc { |m| !m.blank? }


We develop, watch us RoR, in numbers too big to ignore.

On 19 Mar 2008, at 21:53, [email protected] wrote:

Thanks, but that didn’t seem to work. When I left my “fax” field
blank, I got an error message returned from validation “Fax cannot be
blank”. Here’s my validation rule:

validates_presence_of :fax, :if => proc { |m| !m.blank? }

What I would like is for the field to be allowed to be empty or nil,
but because of RoR 1.2.3 I can’t use allow_blank. - Dave

The object that gets passed to the proc is the record itself, so you
need m.fax.blank?

Fred

Frederick C. wrote:

The object that gets passed to the proc is the record itself, so you
need m.fax.blank?

Whoops, thanks Fred. Another 4am blunder.


We develop, watch us RoR, in numbers too big to ignore.

Thanks guys. Let me go one step further. I downloaded a
“validates_as_phone” plugin. So what I want to do is only validate
the fax field is a user has entered a non-empty value. However, right
now, this rule

validates_as_phone :fax, :if => proc { |m| m.blank? }

doesn’t kick in, even if the user has entered a value like “111”. How
can I adjust the above?

  • Dave

My bad, and it’s not even 4 in the morning. Thanks for the follow-up,
Fred. Works great, - Dave

On Mar 20, 12:25 pm, Frederick C. [email protected]

On 20 Mar 2008, at 17:14, [email protected] wrote:

Thanks guys. Let me go one step further. I downloaded a
“validates_as_phone” plugin. So what I want to do is only validate
the fax field is a user has entered a non-empty value. However, right
now, this rule

validates_as_phone :fax, :if => proc { |m| m.blank? }

Like i said before, that needs to be m.fax.blank?

Frederick C. wrote:

On 20 Mar 2008, at 17:14, [email protected] wrote:

validates_as_phone :fax, :if => proc { |m| m.blank? }

Like i said before, that needs to be m.fax.blank?

Or !m.fax.blank?

Have you tried

:allow_nil => true

? I use that on 1.2.x and 2.0.2.

Peace,
Phillip

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs