Agile Web Development with Rails 1.1


#1

Dave, on another topic, might I recommend that you and DHH publish an
updated version of the Agile guide right away when 1.1 comes out? You
could
reuse much of your material and it would do a lot of good to help make
sure
there is still a good centralized source of reference for Rails.
Without
that book, there really is not a good one-stop source of information for
people to learn how to use Rails. It also seems like many of the
features
in 1.1 are only very sparsely documented, so it would be very invaluable
to
people. Even though I bought the first edition in beta PDF and print, I
would still shell out more for an update.

Thanks for listening.

Carl


#2

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:36:57AM -0800, Carl Y. wrote:

Dave, on another topic, might I recommend that you and DHH publish an
updated version of the Agile guide right away when 1.1 comes out? You could
reuse much of your material and it would do a lot of good to help make sure
there is still a good centralized source of reference for Rails. Without
that book, there really is not a good one-stop source of information for
people to learn how to use Rails. It also seems like many of the features
in 1.1 are only very sparsely documented, so it would be very invaluable to
people. Even though I bought the first edition in beta PDF and print, I
would still shell out more for an update.

Seconded.


- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.everylastounce.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] … Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ]… Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] … Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ]…Wiki
[ http://del.icio.us/fields ] … Links


#3

Thirded! That would be invaluable and i’d gladly pay full price again
for a good update. Even if you could just put out a mini book
covering all the changes/new features since the book (1.1, of course,
but it seems there’s even stuff in 1.0 that wasn’t there when the
book was finalized). Is this something we can look forward to?

sebastian


#4

Just because I feel like being Mr. Devil’s Advocate, how about a book
on how Rails was written, instead? I for one would plunk down some
cash for that a lot sooner than I would for a version-upgrade to
existing documentation. I’m all for keeping the Agile book up to date,
but, you know, if you’re taking requests… :wink:


Giles Goat Boy

http://gilesmakesmusic.blogspot.com
http://gileswritescode.blogspot.com


#5

Ruby for Rails by David A. Black (http://www.manning.com/books/black)
is shaping up to be that book. Just started reading the few beta
chapters available, and it’s really quit excellent. I think you’ll
find that this may be exactly what you’re looking for – it is for
me. However, only 5 chapters so far, so lots of the stuff is only
hinted in the TOC.

sebastian


#6

Rails mailing list
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails


#7

My God! That’s like the grand prize winner pimp hat of all time.

On 3/3/06, Sebastian F. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

http://gileswritescode.blogspot.com


Giles Goat Boy

http://gilesmakesmusic.blogspot.com
http://gileswritescode.blogspot.com


#8

I’m in 100% agreement with the others, Dave.

I’d absolutely buy another copy to have
complete coverage of 1.0 features alone.

If the book were updated to 1.1, and the
cart example Ajaxed using RJS, I would be
deliriously happy.


– Tom M.


#9

Tom M. wrote:

> I'd *absolutely* buy another copy to have
> complete coverage of 1.0 features alone.

Hoooo, wait there: two people in a row offering to pay for an update?
Am I the only one here who finds 20$+ for a pdf books is way too much?
I pay the same price as for the dead tree version, but I do the
printing and the binding myself.
So in the end, I pay more for an ““inferior”” product.
Additionaly, the publisher never has to destroy an unsold copy, pay for
storing, transporting, printing, etc…
I don’t mind people making money when they sell a good product, but
sometimes this whole “sell at value price, not cost price” mentality
goes too far for me.

I’ve bought my share of pdf books - 5 in a year -, but I keep thinking
20$ is rip-off. I know, it’s harsh, but that’s how I feel.
The “free-update” - *1 - makes it bearable. Should it become a paying
option, I would lose faith in humanity. Well, not really, but you get my
point.

*1 - well, not so free as you have to reprint, and rebind.

Alain


#10

just go and write one for $5.00 - trust me, nobody will try to stop you!


#11

I purchase Dave’s pdf book. I find it convenient to be able to print
just
the pages I need. I found it well worth the money. An updated version
that
covers the new stuff in Rairls 1.1 would be greatly appreciated. Even
if I
had to pay full price, it would be worth it to get some good well
written
documentation.

My 2 cents.
-Larry

On 3/4/06, Alain R. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

So in the end, I pay more for an ““inferior”” product.
point.

*1 - well, not so free as you have to reprint, and rebind.

Alain


Rails mailing list
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails


Best Regards,
-Larry
“Work, work, work…there is no satisfactory alternative.”
— E.Taft Benson


#12

Giles B. wrote:

Just because I feel like being Mr. Devil’s Advocate, how about a book
on how Rails was written, instead? I for one would plunk down some
cash for that a lot sooner than I would for a version-upgrade to
existing documentation. I’m all for keeping the Agile book up to date,
but, you know, if you’re taking requests… :wink:


Giles Goat Boy

http://gilesmakesmusic.blogspot.com
http://gileswritescode.blogspot.com

That would be nice!


#13

On 4 Mar 2006, at 06:05, Tom M. wrote:

I’m in 100% agreement with the others, Dave.

I’d absolutely buy another copy to have
complete coverage of 1.0 features alone.

If the book were updated to 1.1, and the
cart example Ajaxed using RJS, I would be
deliriously happy.

Yes! I’d buy this definitely. Go on, don’t make us turn the list into
a petition!

David S.
w: http://davidsmalley.com/blog


#14

Larry K. wrote:
> I purchase Dave’s pdf book. I found it well worth the money.

If you read my message till the end, you noticed that I’ve bought 5
e-books in the last year, and that my point is just
“should a pdf be cheaper than a real paper book?”
?

In a related matter, I love Apple’s products very much, but I hate their
marketing practices: I bought iLife 5 in December, 2 months before they
published iLife 6, and I had to pay the full price for the new version.
It sucks, I hated it but I bought it.

> I find it convenient to be able to print just the pages I need.

There’s not discussion that for reading, annotating and browsing, paper
beats rock AND pdf.
And how do you know that you don’t need a page, if not by reading it
first?

I printed my whole copy double-face, and binded it in 3 parts. I must
have annotated, highlighted, drawn in 20% of the pages.
It will take many more years till a - portable - ebook reader can offer
you this kind of experience and service.

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/games/Scissors+Paper+Stone/

Alain


#15

I’d buy one, too! Just to add to the `petition’ :slight_smile:

Conrad T. wrote:

Hi, I would buy the combo pack if there was a new Rails 1.1 and highly
agree with David.

Peace,

-Conrad


#16

Hi, I would buy the combo pack if there was a new Rails 1.1 and highly
agree with David.

Peace,

-Conrad


#17

Michael G. wrote:

I’m in.

And me. We’re looking to use RoR as a teaching platform for first years
starting in September 06 and our library will be buying multiple copies

  • we need some way of keeping up to date, which as I see it will be a
    problem - having to replace virtually new books - that will get me
    landed in hot water.

Unless we don’t buy them and - have to lok into what the licensing is
for PDF versions.


#18

Well, you also get the book right away and don’t have to wait or travel
to
the store… Plus it is searchable.

Personally, I think the price is totally reasonable.


#19

I’m in.


#20

On Mar 4, 2006, at 2:20 AM, Alain R. wrote:

Tom M. wrote:

I’d absolutely buy another copy to have
complete coverage of 1.0 features alone.

Hoooo, wait there: two people in a row offering to pay for an update?
Am I the only one here who finds 20$+ for a pdf books is way too much?

I’m sure you’re not the only one, but I’ll never agree.

I’m paying for the knowledge, which saves me time.

How I get the knowledge is irrelevant.

If you could take a pill and know something inside out, would you
expect to pay less since no paper was involved?


– Tom M.