I’ve been programming for a long time, but never really done any serious
application testing. There’s a mass of information on the web about
testing: TDD vs. BDD, fixtures vs. factories/mocking etc.
From my research I have a few questions that I cannot find the answers
- What mocking frameworks are people using (are Mocha or FlexMock
- What is the ‘test/mocks’ directory for in a default Rails application
– don’t you normally define your mocks in your test case?
- Should I be unit testing models and controllers? Or just unit
testing models and then functional testing controllers.
- What exactly does functional testing mean?
- Do I need to use fixtures at all in my unit tests?
- Should I be using fixtures in my functional tests?
After reading about, and trying several testing setups I have decided to
use plain old Test::Unit with the Shoulda plugin
(http://thoughtbot.com/projects/shoulda). I am having is finding a
really good example of a Rails app with this kind of testing setup. Any
Any help much appreciated!