Adding MonitorMixin causes compile failure when initialize t

Hi, I am a relative newbie in Ruby and I need to do some simple thread
based programs.
In the new pickaxe book I saw this code for enabling a synchronized
block using a MonitorMixin

require ‘monitor’

class Counter
include MonitorMixin
attr_reader :count
def initialize
@count = 0
super
end
def tick
synchronize do
@count += 1
end
puts @count

c = Counter.new
t1 = Thread.new{10000.times {c.tick} }
t2 = Thread.new{10000.times {c.tick} }
t1.join; t2.join

This works fine, except that in my application the class takes a
parameter, so I added a parameter to the new call and a parameter to
the initialize method as below,

require ‘monitor’

class Counter
include MonitorMixin
attr_reader :count
def initialize(init_param)
@count = init_param
super
end
def tick
synchronize do
@count += 1
end
puts @count

c = Counter.new(2)
t1 = Thread.new{10000.times {c.tick} }
t2 = Thread.new{10000.times {c.tick} }
t1.join; t2.join

And when I do it fails to compile with the following error.
`initialize’: wrong number of arguments (1 for 0) (ArgumentError)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for you r help with this

Scott

“S” == Scott [email protected] writes: