Add a column "on the fly"


#1

Hi people,

Does anybody know if it is possible to create columns on the fly…
so wihout a migration.

I would like to do this so that my customers can create multiple
languages whitout me generating that language for them.

ohw an second question: could I then check if a particularly column
exists ? in a table of course :stuck_out_tongue:

thanxs!


#2

On 8 Dec 2008, at 18:33, jeljer te Wies wrote:

exists ? in a table of course :stuck_out_tongue:

Well you can of course execute arbitrary sql
(ActiveRecord::Base.connection.execute), which could add a column (you
will run into the slight issue that you will need to get all of your
mongrels/mod_rails instances etc… to call
SomeTable.reset_column_information). This sounds like a horrifically
bad idea though

Fred


#3

:frowning: If you put it like that yes !..
Such a shame ! Beceaus it would have been verry cool
To add languages on the fly as a customer :frowning:

Ok wel then I will have to do something with my database design
So that I would be possible… But it won’t be pritty either :frowning:

Thanxs allot though for the reply !
I really apreciate it

Jeljer

Frederick C. wrote:

On 8 Dec 2008, at 18:33, jeljer te Wies wrote:

exists ? in a table of course :stuck_out_tongue:

Well you can of course execute arbitrary sql
(ActiveRecord::Base.connection.execute), which could add a column (you
will run into the slight issue that you will need to get all of your
mongrels/mod_rails instances etc… to call
SomeTable.reset_column_information). This sounds like a horrifically
bad idea though

Fred


#4

On 8 Dec 2008, at 21:28, jeljer te Wies wrote:

:frowning: If you put it like that yes !..
Such a shame ! Beceaus it would have been verry cool
To add languages on the fly as a customer :frowning:

I’ve absolutely no idea what you’re doing or trying to do, but I doubt
that adding columns on the fly is the only way to accomplish what you
want.

Fred


#5

Why can’t you make an additional model “language” and another model of
“message”, then you only need:

language.rb: has_many => :messages
message.rb: belongs_to => :language

Then you might have infinite number of languages with infinite number
of messages ;)))

Good luck! :slight_smile:

On Dec 8, 10:36 pm, Frederick C. removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#6

Yes thanxs !.. I have thought of the same solution.

I now have the following… :

Languages:
-id
-name

menus
-id
-title
-languages id

This is a much better solution !! … I really don’t know why haven’t
thought of it
sooner.

Thanxs for al the replays guys!.

gr jeljer

Paweł K wrote:

Why can’t you make an additional model “language” and another model of
“message”, then you only need:

language.rb: has_many => :messages
message.rb: belongs_to => :language

Then you might have infinite number of languages with infinite number
of messages ;)))

Good luck! :slight_smile:

On Dec 8, 10:36 pm, Frederick C. removed_email_address@domain.invalid