ActionMailer sending mail, but never received

Hey, I’m using ActionMailer to send emails, but the recipient never
receives them.

Here’s the method in my Notifier class:

def order_placed(order)
recipients order.user.email
from “[email protected]
subject “Your Soundcast Systems Order”
body :order => order
end

And here’s a snip from the log (development):

…snip…
Address Load (0.002011) SELECT * FROM addresses WHERE
(addresses.addressable_id = 5 AND addresses.addressable_type =
‘Order’ AND (addresses.which = ‘shipping’)) LIMIT 1
Payment Load (0.001367) SELECT * FROM payments WHERE
(payments.order_id = 5) LIMIT 1
Payment Columns (0.003850) SHOW FIELDS FROM payments
User Load (0.000760) SELECT * FROM users WHERE (users.id =
1)
Sent mail to [email protected]

From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Your Soundcast Systems Order

Hi Greg Burger, you placed an order.

This is a test.
SQL (0.000518) BEGIN
SQL (0.000189) COMMIT
…snip…

From that snip of the log, it certainly seems as if the email is being
sent. I tried to have it sent to a few
different addresses, and none of them ever actually get the email. (I
looked in my Junk folders too.)

I saw in a previous thread someone was having a similar problem, but
they just had an empty “to” field.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

On 16 Jun 2008, at 17:18, Greg B. wrote:

Hey, I’m using ActionMailer to send emails, but the recipient never
receives them.

Is actionmailer set to use the correct smtp/sendmail/ etc… ?

Fred

another option is that delivery_method for actionmailer is set to test
in
config/environments/development.rb.

config.action_mailer.delivery_method = :test

In that case you would still get your mail content in the log file,
but nothing is delivered.

I set it. I assume the settings are correct as there are no errors in
the log. Would it insert an error in the log or give me an error page
if it couldn’t login to the server to send the mail?

Greg

On Jun 16, 12:21 pm, Frederick C. [email protected]

Ah!! Figured it out…

My “from” email has to be an existing email account otherwise the mail
server was rejecting the address.

When I looked for:
config.action_mailer.delivery_method = :test

I saw:
config.action_mailer.raise_delivery_errors = false

So I set it to true and this time it threw an error.

Thanks!

On 16 Jun 2008, at 17:27, Greg B. wrote:

I set it. I assume the settings are correct as there are no errors in
the log. Would it insert an error in the log or give me an error page
if it couldn’t login to the server to send the mail?

Depends on the delivery method. For example if you set it to sendmail
and sendmail accepts the item you won’t get an error message, even if
sendmail then later on drops it on the floor.

Fred