Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:50:57 -0500
From: someone [email protected]
To: SomeoneElse [email protected]
Subject: XXX Attendee Change

[…] and then, immediately afterward, the next:

Net::SMTPAuthenticationError (535 Error: authentication failed
):
/opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:586:in auth_login' /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:571:in authenticate’

Naturally, I’m checking these on the other end, and what I see in the
logs matches what I see in the mailbox.

Should I assume this is an issue with my service provider, or is there
something peculiar I might have done to cause is?

–Al Evans

Who is your provider? I have a VPS with zettai.net and I recently
started getting random mail failures as well.

-TJ

try setting in environment.rb, solved a few problems when I started
using actionMailer

:authentication => :plain

ben wrote:

try setting in environment.rb, solved a few problems when I started
using actionMailer

:authentication => :plain

Thanks! That seems to have done the trick.

Hmm, as far as I can tell, the only difference between :plain and :login
is that :plain sends the user name and password at one time, and :login
supposedly responds to two prompts. The smpt server I am using says:

250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN

which seems like it would accept either.

Oh, well, whatever works… :slight_smile:

–Al Evans