Accessing Enumeration in IronRuby

Hi,

I am using IR to do some IronRuby programing and enjoying it!

I created a Form like this:

Form = System::Windows::Forms::Form
form = Form.new
form.ShowDialog()

Now, I need to assign BackColor to the Form. I tried the following:

form.BackColor = System::Drawing::Color::DeekPink

But it is not able to recognize the Color class.

form.BackColor = System::Drawing::Color::DeepPink
:0:in `const_missing’: uninitialized constant
System::Drawing::Color::DeepPink (
NameError)
from :0

Any ideas!

try System::Drawing::Color.deep_pink :slight_smile:

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

Thanks it worked!

But why the inconsistency with the deep_pink instead of DeepPink?

You’re close; you want “System::Drawing::Color.DeepPink”.

IronRuby does “name mangling” on many methods to look more Rubyish. The
standard idiom in Ruby is to have methods with snake_case names, so this
fits with that. Both DeepPink and deep_pink should work in this case.

JD

…there is no try

Curt H. wrote:

You’re close; you want “System::Drawing::Color.DeepPink”.

Thanks Curt! It worked out :slight_smile:

So what is up with naming conventions… are it ruby naming conventions
or
CLR naming conventions?
I’m going to argue in favor of ruby naming conventions.
Is there going to be a definitive list for this? (naming conventions
being a
pet peeve of mine)

Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

Not sure what you mean. For .NET methods on most types, we mangle both
ways. You can call deep_pink or DeepPink. There are certain CLR classes
(ones that map to Ruby Builtins) that don’t mangle to avoid conflicts,
but for the most part, it is up to the developer.

That said, I prefer to stick with what I see as the Ruby community
coding standards:

· 2 space indent

· snake_case method names

· parenthesis for method definitions

· no parenthesis for method calls unless it is chained or
ambiguous

And others listed on this page
http://www.caliban.org/ruby/rubyguide.shtml

JD