AAF and DRb server

I’ve installed the ferret gem. I installed AAF as a plugin into my
vendor/plugins directory of my project. In development environment my
searches work just fine, without any problems.

For production I configured the ferret_server.yml file with correct
information about the machine my DRb server is running on. I start the
ferret server with the following command:

ruby script/runner ‘load “script/ferret_start”’

The DRb server seems to be starting fine. I get:

Starting ferret DRb server…Done.

But when I run a top, I see that my ruby process that I started
ferret_server in is sitting at 95 to 99% at all times. This happens with
no load on the server. Basically it seems that the DRb server is in some
sort of endless loop. Any search request just blocks and doesn’t come
back. But as soon as I kill the DRb ruby process, I get a connection
error, which tell me that the search was waiting for the server to
finish doing whatever it’s doing.

Even when I run the stop script, I get:

Stopping ferret_server…
Sending TERM to ferret_server with PID #…Done.

But the process that started the DRb server doesn’t quit and still sits
at 90 percentile range. I tried to look at the ferret log files
(ferret_server.log and ferret_server.out and ferret_index.log), but
there is nothing in there. Just the creation date. I checked my
environment.rb and I don’t have anything that recursively loads my
modules. I let the server run overnight, thinking that it is indexing my
DB but it still didn’t come back. With local index files and not DRb
server, it takes ferret, at most, 15 minutes to index my DB. I can’t
think of anything else to check or make sure of. Does anyone have any
idea what’s going on?

Ruby 1.8.5
Rails 1.1.6
Ferret 0.11.4
Latest version of AAF as of this writing.

Thanks alot.

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 06:45:49PM +0200, Ben wrote:

The DRb server seems to be starting fine. I get:

Starting ferret DRb server…Done.

But when I run a top, I see that my ruby process that I started
ferret_server in is sitting at 95 to 99% at all times. This happens with
no load on the server. Basically it seems that the DRb server is in some
sort of endless loop. Any search request just blocks and doesn’t come
back. But as soon as I kill the DRb ruby process, I get a connection
error, which tell me that the search was waiting for the server to
finish doing whatever it’s doing.

Recently a similar problem came up because AR models were explicitly
required in environment.rb. Could you please try AAF trunk and start
your server with

FERRET_USE_LOCAL_INDEX=1 ruby script/runner ‘load “script/ferret_start”’

This explicitly tells the server that it is the server and therefore
should use the local index.

Jens


Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH
Schnorrstraße 76 | 01069 Dresden
Telefon +49 351 46766-0 | Telefax +49 351 46766-66
[email protected] | www.webit.de

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold, Hagen Malessa

Jens K. wrote:

Recently a similar problem came up because AR models were explicitly
required in environment.rb. Could you please try AAF trunk and start
your server with

FERRET_USE_LOCAL_INDEX=1 ruby script/runner ‘load “script/ferret_start”’

This explicitly tells the server that it is the server and therefore
should use the local index.

That does it! It works now.

I checked my environment.rb and I couldn’t find any statements that
required any of my models. I don’t know what was happening before. I
guess the trunk code has some fixes and tweaks, being the latest
development snapshot.

Thanks for your quick response and great job on the AAF plugin. This is
how good written code should be, simple and functional.

Thanks,
Ben

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs