A problem with Gem

I’m download the Ruby version 1.9.2-p0,and compile and install it,on
/usr/local/.
after the finish , i type the “gem install merb” or “gem install list”
show
an error.
like this:

ironbook:/home/zark/download/zlib-1.2.5 # gem install merb -zlib
ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError)
no such file to load – zlib
ERROR: While executing gem … (NameError)
uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
ironbook:/home/zark/download/zlib-1.2.5 # gem install merb --zlib
ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError)
no such file to load – zlib
ERROR: While executing gem … (NameError)
uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand

ruby and gem version:
*ironbook:/home/zark/download/zlib-1.2.5 # ruby -v
ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18 revision 29036) [x86_64-linux]

ironbook:/home/zark/download/zlib-1.2.5 # gem -v
1.3.7*

on my system already has zlib, then i know maybe the version is low. so
i
download zlib and compile , install.

then type "gem list " or “gem install **” is also has this
problem…

how can i solve this problem ??

thanks everybody…
Zark Yoc

my system is openSUSE 11.1, in the system software resource is too low
version … I don’t like …
so I download sourcecode and compile , but this problem is first time
occurs…

Zark Yoc

Zark Yoc wrote:

so I download sourcecode and compile , but this problem is first time
occurs…

I think that’s your problem.

When you built ruby, you were missing the zlib header files (probably a
package called “zlib-devel”), and so ruby skipped building the zlib
extension.

Before you rebuild, I suggest you also check you have the openssl-devel
package installed, otherwise you won’t be able to use things like
Net::HTTPS.

At 2010-09-17 03:26AM, “Brian C.” wrote:
[…]

Before you rebuild, I suggest you also check you have the openssl-devel
package installed, otherwise you won’t be able to use things like
Net::HTTPS.

In my (brief) experience (building Ruby in Cygwin), in addition to the
openssl devel package, you’ll need to:

cd [ruby_src]/ext/openssl
ruby extconf.rb
make
make install

Glenn J. wrote:

At 2010-09-17 03:26AM, “Brian C.” wrote:
[…]

Before you rebuild, I suggest you also check you have the openssl-devel
package installed, otherwise you won’t be able to use things like
Net::HTTPS.

In my (brief) experience (building Ruby in Cygwin), in addition to the
openssl devel package, you’ll need to:

cd [ruby_src]/ext/openssl
ruby extconf.rb
make
make install

In Unix that shouldn’t be necessary, as long as openssl-devel was
available at the time you did ./configure

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs