A Mascot

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 9:51 AM, David A. Black [email protected]
wrote:

Perl has the camel.
C and Smalltalk were created in those days when people weren’t so much
interested in mascots :slight_smile:

Should I talk with Jon Hooper, the creator of Hexley?
Or should I wait till we have enough momentum from the list members?

You should talk to Matz. There’s no official Ruby mascot unless Matz
chooses one or delegates someone to do so. And, mercifully, he has so
far done neither :slight_smile:

I vaguely recall some creepy post on RubyTalk with someone asking for
a high resolution photo of Matz suitable for hanging on a wall.
If we have a mascot, I vote for a Matzcot*.

-greg

(*) Which of course, is completely a joke. I am very thankful we
don’t have a mascot, Ruby isn’t a high school football team. :slight_smile:

On 20/08/2008, Gregory B. [email protected] wrote:

bearing the horned hat and trident.
far done neither :slight_smile:

I vaguely recall some creepy post on RubyTalk with someone asking for
a high resolution photo of Matz suitable for hanging on a wall.
If we have a mascot, I vote for a Matzcot*.

-greg

(*) Which of course, is completely a joke. I am very thankful we
don’t have a mascot, Ruby isn’t a high school football team. :slight_smile:

It looks like mascots are in general out of fashion these says. Even
NetBSD which had a fine demon for a long time went to a bland flag :-S

Michal

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Michal S. [email protected]
wrote:

On 20/08/2008, Gregory B. [email protected] wrote:

NetBSD which had a fine demon for a long time went to a bland flag :-S
On the contrary, Prawn has a mighty-fine smiling … Prawn … as its
logo:
http://prawn.majesticseacreature.com/

But I think individual projects can get away with more than a
programming language should be able to, especially once it becomes
more popular.
I can’t imagine hanging on to our cuddly little crustacean if/when
Prawn is merged with the Ruby PDF project.

-greg

Pablo Q. wrote:

I think that we must use a kind of artificial animal, like dogs. I mean,
an
animal made by human beings because Ruby is for me like the first
programming language that actually speaks like human and has an human
behavior (able to says stuff in different ways).

http://studio.imagemagick.org/RMagick/doc/ex/images/duck.gif

:slight_smile:

Le 20 août 2008 à 21:32, Robert D. a écrit :

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Clinton D. Judy [email protected] wrote:

Definitely get more momentum. Looks like 2 for mascot, 5+ against so
far.

Can I hear some defined reasons why people don’t like a mascot? Don’t
know why a lack of a mascot makes Ruby much better…
Maybe I am just too conservative about it. I believe Ruby does not
need a mascot. A mascot is something people associate with a product
etc.

C’mon, it has some good points :

http://freebsd-image-gallery.netcode.pl/?gallery=Daemonette

(But we need to choose an adequate beast…)

Fred

wrote:

Definitely get more momentum. Looks like 2 for mascot, 5+ against so
far.

Can I hear some defined reasons why people don’t like a mascot? Don’t
know why a lack of a mascot makes Ruby much better…
Maybe I am just too conservative about it. I believe Ruby does not
need a mascot. A mascot is something people associate with a product
etc. I would hate if a mascot would imply something about Ruby. I
prefer people see Ruby for what it is.
That said I am not strongly opposed, just slightly, and I do not think
that it will matter a lot.

Cheers
Robert

http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/

There’s no one thing that’s true. It’s all true.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 05:13:49PM +0900, Mayuresh K. wrote:

Take for example the BSD Demon (Chuck)

Last I checked, that was spelled Daemon, and his name was Beastie.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:49:14PM +0900, Mayuresh K. wrote:

The likeliness to the BSD Devil is intentional,

That’s a daemon, not a devil.

On 20/08/2008, Tim H. [email protected] wrote:

:slight_smile:

Shouldn’t the duck be red?

It’s a ruby duck after all…

:slight_smile:

Thanks

Michal

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 00:29 +0900, Clinton D. Judy wrote:

Could you make a cute lobster? Or you could go the opposite direction, with an extreme lobster! With razor-sharp claws and all.