500 status on /admin/

I’ve just installed radiant locally on Ubuntu 6.06 / MySQL 5.0.22. I
have no problems accessing the application running on localhost:3000 but
when I try to access the http://localhost:3000/admin/ controller I get a
status 500 with the message “Change this error message for exceptions
thrown outside of an action (like in Dispatcher setups or broken Ruby
code) in public/500.html”.

I’m obviously a new rails user and completely clueless about radiant.
I’m just assuming some kind of permissions/authentication error that is
throwing an un-handled exception. Any ideas?

I’ve played with the demo and am very excited about this CMS. I just
need to get a little more experience with rails/ruby/webrick
configuration.

Thanks in advance.

A 500 error is the generic catch-all for Rails apps. I’d say the first
thing
to do is check your log file in log/development.log. If you’re running
with
Webbrick you should also be able to follow what’s happening in the
terminal
window. Since you’re getting a functioning application at the root
level, it
sounds like most everything is configured correctly. Post back if you
find
something interesting!

(My first post to this list - hopefully it’s useful. Let me just say
Radiant
is excellent & deserves the hype it’s been given! I’m hoping to help out
the
community because great software needs a great community.)

|| Dean

Stuart B. wrote:

I’ve just installed radiant locally on Ubuntu 6.06 / MySQL 5.0.22. I
have no problems accessing the application running on localhost:3000 but
when I try to access the http://localhost:3000/admin/ controller I get a
status 500 with the message “Change this error message for exceptions
thrown outside of an action (like in Dispatcher setups or broken Ruby
code) in public/500.html”.

Stuart, did Dean’s advice help?


John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com

John W. Long wrote:

Stuart B. wrote:

I’ve just installed radiant locally on Ubuntu 6.06 / MySQL 5.0.22. I
have no problems accessing the application running on localhost:3000 but
when I try to access the http://localhost:3000/admin/ controller I get a
status 500 with the message “Change this error message for exceptions
thrown outside of an action (like in Dispatcher setups or broken Ruby
code) in public/500.html”.

Stuart, did Dean’s advice help?


John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com

Hi all, since Stuart didn’t reply and I am loathe to start a new thread
I thought I would just hijack this one since we are having the same
problem. I set up Radiant using cgi with no problems, but when I change
my .htaccess to use fastcgi I get a 500 error when I try to access
/admin switching back to cgi fixes the problem, but who in the world
wants to use cgi.

I get no errors in either the apache (1.3) logs or in any of the ruby
logs.

Any thoughts?

Phil,

Make sure that dispatch.fcgi is executable and that the shebang line
points
directly to your ruby installation and not /usr/bin/env ruby.

From a shell, you can type ‘which ruby’ to find out where ruby is installed.

Other than those, make sure that dispatch.fcgi is readable and
executable by
the Apache user.

Sean C.
seancribbs.com

Did anyone resolve this error? I have the same problem and can’t seem
to find a solution that works.

Hi Sean,

Tried both of these and no joy. My Ruby is at /usr/bin/ruby and the
ownership of dispatch.fcgi is myuser:httpd (this is a vhost in a shared
environment) with permissions of 755. Still no joy. I don’t think it’s
a permissions issue as all other pages display just fine even after
clearing the cache. The only problem I have is with /admin.

Sean C. wrote:

Phil,

Make sure that dispatch.fcgi is executable and that the shebang line
points
directly to your ruby installation and not /usr/bin/env ruby.

From a shell, you can type ‘which ruby’ to find out where ruby is installed.

Other than those, make sure that dispatch.fcgi is readable and
executable by
the Apache user.

Sean C.
seancribbs.com

Hi Sean,

Tried both of these and no joy. My Ruby is at /usr/bin/ruby and the
ownership of dispatch.fcgi is myuser:httpd (this is a vhost in a shared
environment) with permissions of 755. Still no joy. I don’t think it’s
a permissions issue as all other pages display just fine even after
clearing the cache. The only problem I have is with /admin.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs