Forum: Ruby on Rails how can I view HTTP trace on an incoming request??

D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)

how can I view HTTP trace on an incoming request?  I am sending test
HTTP
requests from my test application (app1) to my actually application
(app2)
but I am getting Recognition failed errors?  There is nothing in the
app2
logs.

Greg
Hi Greg,

Greg Hauptmann wrote:

> how can I view HTTP trace on an incoming request?

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'trace' here.  Are you using the 'Live
HTTP Headers' plugin for FF?  If so, what info is it not giving you that
you
need?

Best regards,
Bill
D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)
Live headers doesn't seem to be an option as I want to trace/capture the
HTTP from my App1 (a stub) to App2 (my application).  So its App1 making
the
HTTP call to App2, not my browser.

My problem is (if anyone can help) that:

   1. when I call an action in App2 from App1 I get a ROUTING ERROR,
   "Recognition failed for /mycontroller/myaction" - this seems to come
from
   App2's inbuilt Rails framework which somehow sees a routing problem
and
   immediately sends back a "Routing Error" message without ever getting
to my
   code within App2.
   2. when I use the browser with same "
   http://localhost:3000/mycontroller/myaction" URL (i.e. that App1
seems
   to be correctly producing, although I don't have a HTTP trace
mechanism to
   100% prove this) App2 seems to work fine
   3. again I don't see any log info turn up in App2 (as if the rails
   framework picked up on the routing error first and then bounced it
prior to
   my code getting involved)
   4. some details of my code below

Code Used (which resides in App1 running on port 3001 - it's calling
App2
running on port 3000)
    url = "http://localhost:3000/mycontroller/myaction"
    uri = URI.parse(url)
    response = nil
    Net::HTTP.start(uri.host, uri.port) do |request|
        response = request.post(uri.path, postData)
    end

Note that "response.body" here gives:
<head>
  <title>Action Controller: Exception caught</title>
   << CUT >>
</head>
<h1>Routing Error</h1>
&quot;/mycontroller/myaction&quot;</pre></p>

Browser Test
* Yet when I call the same URL from my browser it works (and doesn't
give
this message).  The URL I use here would be:
      http://localhost:3000/mycontroller/myaction

Any ideas/help?  I can't seem to see what I'm doing wrong.  Any way to
trace
the HTTP coming directly into App2 to see for myself what Rails is
doing?
What about a way to turn up the logging/trace for rails re HTTP?

Thanks in advance
Greg
(TextEdit / MacBook)

On 3/4/07, Bill Walton <bill.walton@charter.net> wrote: